Fisheye lens

Rampage

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Was wondering how anyones experience with fisheye lens have been. Been seeing 2 different types. Dedicated and the some that attach to your lens. Was thinking of getting one. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

I have not used a fisheye lens myself. I think the dedicated lenses are better, but more expensive. The attachments are cheaper, and may not produce the quality of photographs that you want. If you get an attachment, try to find some unbiased reviews on them, specifically about the image quality. Good luck!

Thanks a bunch. Really appreciate it. Ill start out with the attachment first since to be honest it's relatively cheap then go from there if necessary

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was wondering how anyones experience with fisheye lens have been. Been seeing 2 different types. Dedicated and the some that attach to your lens. Was thinking of getting one. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance

Not fisheyes but the auxillary ones that attach as an extension to a prime..my experience of trying quite a few ultra wides is that they all have strong color aberrations at the edges with mushy definition too towards the edges. Ok sometimes (kind of) for B&W or if you can correct with software but not very good overall.

Not fisheyes but the auxillary ones that attach as an extension to a prime..my experience of trying quite a few ultra wides is that they all have strong color aberrations at the edges with mushy definition too towards the edges. Ok sometimes (kind of) for B&W or if you can correct with software but not very good overall.

Good looking out

Nothing wrong with the attachment types, but I doubt many of them are really, truly fisheyes. They may produce roundish images with curved lines, but they won't give you the true 180° FOV.

If you do decide to go to a dedicated FE, keep in mind there's two types of lenses. One is a 'full-frame', which give you a 180° FOV across opposite corners of the viewfinder. The other is a circular, which produces a circular image that's 180° across the shorter dimension of your viewfinder. Most opt for the former.

Nothing wrong with the attachment types, but I doubt many of them are really, truly fisheyes. They may produce roundish images with curved lines, but they won't give you the true 180° FOV.

If you do decide to go to a dedicated FE, keep in mind there's two types of lenses. One is a 'full-frame', which give you a 180° FOV across opposite corners of the viewfinder. The other is a circular, which produces a circular image that's 180° across the shorter dimension of your viewfinder. Most opt for the former.

Can you post pics to give me an example of what you mean?

Can you post pics to give me an example of what you mean?

acparsons posted some that are from a full-frame fisheye. A circular fisheye will look like this:

ForestFisheye3frHDRpost.jpg

I cropped the image to be square, and filled the black area with a brown color.

You will also need to determine which type is available for your camera. A circular for a full-frame (24x36mm) sensor will not produce a circle on a crop sensor.

Thanks guys I really appreciate the help

I have both adapters & proper fish-eye lenses. Not surprisingly the proper lenses give better results but they do cost quite a bit more, IIRC my adapters were all under £25.
Adapters claiming x0.45 can give a fish-eye effect when used at the widest end of a kit zoom, though the FOV is not really in the realms of a true fish-eye. Wider models are certainly available & the x0.17 ones might reach 180°.
At least one of my adapters has a disproportionate amount of its FOV in the extreme edges giving extreme distortions at the edges, but fairly minimal difference elsewhere. :(
There is a group on Flickr that's dedicated to fish-eye adapters: Fish Eye Adapter Lens
another on cheap adapters might be useful too:
Cheap Lens Converters

If you've not used a fish-eye before they can be a challenge to get good shots from. So you might be best advised to play with one of the adapters before investing too much in a proper lens - compositional skills in both are generally fairly similar.

...........Adapters claiming x0.45 can give a fish-eye effect ............. Wider models are certainly available & the x0.17 ones might reach 180°.............

'Claiming' being the key word here. Usually, a 0.45x claim works out to .8, and 0.17 ends up being 0.5. And there's no guarantee that an adapter that merely bends straight lines into curves will actually have a FOV of 180°, although the non-linear results may give the OP enough of the 'feel' and 'look' of a fisheye to determine whether purchasing a dedicated lens is worthwhile.

i had a big screw on macro attachment many years ago.. it was just some big junky hunk of glass that screwed onto the lens, i got off ebay or what not. the photos came out quite good for insect photos and dragon flys. some times those screw on attachments work pretty well.

never had a fisheye anything though..

I'll let everyone knows how the one I bought turns out once i get it in the mail and take a couple of pics with it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use the Rokinon 8mm on my D7000, and it's a lot of fun! The Nikon version is available chipped, which means all the meter modes work and you get good EXIF data. Around 300 bucks or less, about 230 or 250 for the non-chipped version. (You want the chipped.) My avatar is a fisheye shot through the Rokinon!

26507161126_afa6b8074a_b.jpg

25930277023_688f4c9509_b.jpg

25930276553_ce4d13ffcc_b.jpg

16329971992_3125247964_b.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back