fisheye with 1.6x crop factor

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by mxracer32, Nov 11, 2008.

1. mxracer32

mxracer32 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    ive searched the site and found a lot of threads pertaining to this, but they were either out-dated, or had unanswered questions so heres my stab at this..

im shooting with a canon 20d which has a 1.6x crop factor. I want a fisheye, the more distortion the better. I am not a professional. I like to shoot for fun on vacations, trips, and motocross (see avatar?) im looking in the $350-$450 range(would like to stay under 400, but 50 bucks isnt going to stop me) i know there is the peleng 3.5\8mm for around $380 in ebay but it has had mixed reviews (lense cap) and is a manual focus. that isnt a 'deal breaker' for me, but if i can get something else that will give me good distortion\barrel on photos with, or even without af, id rather go with that. ive shot with a sigma 10-22 and was not satisfied when used with my 20d (though i did shoot with a mark-1 and liked it much more) i want a fisheye, not a wide angle. hopefully this fully explains my situation and will help you all, help me! thanks!

2. JerryPH

JerryPH No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Look at the Sigma lenses, they have a few nice fisheye lenses.

I saw a Nikon 10.5mm fisheye this past sunday, and MAN I was impressed by the lack of distortion, just a smoooooooth curve to it all. If I wasn't going into the D700 and what not, the fisheye would be looking good today.

The thing I do not like is that fisheye lenses are great as a novelty and especially in the beginning. After that they get put in the bag and used once a year, just becuase we feel bad paying all that cash and not using it.

I'd suggest you rent out one for a weekend before plunking your money down... just to see if it is as useful as you may feel it is. :)

3. Jeff Canes

Jeff Canes No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
  4. DeadEye

DeadEye TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I have the Canon 15mm fisheye 680.00 . It kicks on the 1d mk III , Not happy with it on the 1.6 body as all the fun curve on the edges is well croped out. On full frame its wicked.

5. mxracer32

mxracer32 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    ive looked at the sigma lenses...all seem to be out of my price range since the only ones that will give me the distortion im looking for is the 4.5 and the 8.

nikon fisheye wont do much good for me since im using a canon...and im not looking for a suttle distortion, im looking for a good bit of roll\fish.

ive used a sigma fisheye before that i borrowed and enjoyed it. even if i buy one, and decide i dont use it as much as i thought, i can still go back and sell it on ebay and not be out much. renting lenses is in the $50 range...i wouldnt lose much more then that on a $400 lense that i buy on ebay...

Last edited: Nov 11, 2008
  6. WTF?

WTF? TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    you could go for the tokina 10-17mm fish, ive heard a few good reviews from it, and you get that little bit of range, although they are a bit over your budget, cheapest ive seen one was around $430, they retail for about $550 though
    so...hmm...

7. mxracer32

mxracer32 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I was worried that the tokina wouldnt give me enough distortion when used with my 1.6x body. 430ish is ok, and im not in a huge rush so id be willing to wait until a used one pops up on ebay, craigslist, etc, but the sigma 8mm and the like are in the 6-7hundred range, and thats the lowest ive seen, most are 700-800. that is not my price range unfortunatley. i also looked into the zenitar, a russion fisheye but it too doesnt produce the fish with a 1.6;

i was hoping there was another option out there that someone knew about..lol, not looking so good for me. :grumpy:

8. cereal83

cereal83 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
  9. mxracer32

mxracer32 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    thanks cereal, do you know if that was a full frame camera or if it was a 1.6x?

10. cereal83

cereal83 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Its a Canon 40D so I assume it's not full frame but rather a 1.6

11. mxracer32

mxracer32 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    to keep from making another thread...heres another question

i found a sigma 8mm fisheye locally on craigslist, but it is a nikon mount. i know they make adapter rings to mount it on my canon...but will the adapter ring change or distort images in any way that would differ it from being a canon mount on my camera?