limr

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
moderndinosaur.wordpress.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Over the course of the discussion in this thread http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...sfw-how-changing-my-diet-changed-my-body.html , it's clear that a number of TPF members are actively trying to increase their fitness or lose weight.

I'm certainly in this group as well. Someone mentioned updates and having accountability partners, so I thought it might be good to start a separate thread specifically for fitness and motivation. We can have regular updates to help keep ourselves accountable. We can share specific information about the programs we're trying, or recipes, or even tapes that might not work for us but someone else would like to try.

I know there are forums on sites like SparkPeople or other fitness sites, but for some reason, I never really connected. I clearly find myself enjoying TPF quite a lot and feel I sort of "know" you guys now, so maybe I feel it will be more motivating to try this with people that have already connected through a shared interest other than fitness.

Here's my story:
A few years ago, I lost 70lbs and felt great. Over the past two years, several craptacular patches of crappiness in my life sent me into a downward spiral and I slowly gained just under half of that back. I'm finally crawling my way back out of the Pit of Crap (TM) and starting on a fitness program - one that is different from the one I did before when I lost the 70lbs. I mostly work out at home, so this means fitness tapes. Doing the same ones I did a few years ago just made me feel like I was starting all over again and it was very discouraging, so I bought some completely different things to get me back into a habit of working out and then I'll incorporate the old tapes back in when there's less emotional baggage attached to them.

Workouts I've done and liked: The Firm, Biggest Loser, P90X. These are the ones that I will reincorporate after a couple of months. Especially the P90X, since it's not really useful for weight loss but more for shaping and toning. I made the mistake of trying that when I was still accelerating down into the Pit of Crap, and although I really liked the workouts, it made me feel discouraged that I wasn't seeing results. I probably didn't give it a chance, or didn't know what to expect, or maybe it just wasn't the right time. I'd like to revisit the program sometime next year.

New workouts I'm trying: Indoor walking. I just got a Leslie Sansone tape with 4 workouts, and I like the overall exercise, but she's faaaaaaar too cheerleader like. I'm hoping to find someone slightly less annoying.

Okay, so is anyone interested?

This is great. Thank you so much for starting this. A big thing for me is doing these heavy hitter programs, like Insanity, with a group of people, because it pushes me so much further than if I did it alone. That is just my personality. I feel like the energy in the room is so inspiring. It is also a fun way to meet new people who are sharing the same experience with you. I have met some really cool people. I was so glad when the YMCA started offering these classes. I also use my Bowflex Treadclimber a lot at home too, especially on days I have to work. I jam to my headphones, watch my recorded tv shows, or catch up on some reading. Before I know it I have done an hour and haven't even realized it.
I am like Mish in that I like to get my workout done as early in the day as possible, because I am more energized and I get it out of the way.
I encourage everyone to take a before picture at the start of any weight loss/exercise program, because it is really a great way to see result when you take progression photos down the road. It is great motivation too.

A few of my tips:
make a food journal
if you are having major sugar cravings then brush your teeth...the cravings will go away.
Snack often
get a workout buddy....or two
when you make healthy dinners then make extras for the week.
If you have a bad day there is always tomorrow to make things right. :)

Over the course of the discussion in this thread http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/off-topic-chat/344071-nsfw-how-changing-my-diet-changed-my-body.html , it's clear that a number of TPF members are actively trying to increase their fitness or lose weight.

I'm certainly in this group as well. Someone mentioned updates and having accountability partners, so I thought it might be good to start a separate thread specifically for fitness and motivation. We can have regular updates to help keep ourselves accountable. We can share specific information about the programs we're trying, or recipes, or even tapes that might not work for us but someone else would like to try.

I know there are forums on sites like SparkPeople or other fitness sites, but for some reason, I never really connected. I clearly find myself enjoying TPF quite a lot and feel I sort of "know" you guys now, so maybe I feel it will be more motivating to try this with people that have already connected through a shared interest other than fitness.

Here's my story:
A few years ago, I lost 70lbs and felt great. Over the past two years, several craptacular patches of crappiness in my life sent me into a downward spiral and I slowly gained just under half of that back. I'm finally crawling my way back out of the Pit of Crap (TM) and starting on a fitness program - one that is different from the one I did before when I lost the 70lbs. I mostly work out at home, so this means fitness tapes. Doing the same ones I did a few years ago just made me feel like I was starting all over again and it was very discouraging, so I bought some completely different things to get me back into a habit of working out and then I'll incorporate the old tapes back in when there's less emotional baggage attached to them.

Workouts I've done and liked: The Firm, Biggest Loser, P90X. These are the ones that I will reincorporate after a couple of months. Especially the P90X, since it's not really useful for weight loss but more for shaping and toning. I made the mistake of trying that when I was still accelerating down into the Pit of Crap, and although I really liked the workouts, it made me feel discouraged that I wasn't seeing results. I probably didn't give it a chance, or didn't know what to expect, or maybe it just wasn't the right time. I'd like to revisit the program sometime next year.

New workouts I'm trying: Indoor walking. I just got a Leslie Sansone tape with 4 workouts, and I like the overall exercise, but she's faaaaaaar too cheerleader like. I'm hoping to find someone slightly less annoying.

Waaay too many words for the jock side of the brain. Take up cardio boxing. Get a 100+ pound bag beat the living **** of it for 20-45 minute 5 minutes of jimp before/after each session. Do that for 2-3 days a week, stress down 30%. Or Google for more formal training.

This is great. Thank you so much for starting this. A big thing for me is doing these heavy hitter programs, like Insanity, with a group of people, because it pushes me so much further than if I did it alone. That is just my personality. I feel like the energy in the room is so inspiring. It is also a fun way to meet new people who are sharing the same experience with you. I have met some really cool people. I was so glad when the YMCA started offering these classes. I also use my Bowflex Treadclimber a lot at home too, especially on days I have to work. I jam to my headphones, watch my recorded tv shows, or catch up on some reading. Before I know it I have done an hour and haven't even realized it.
I am like Mish in that I like to get my workout done as early in the day as possible, because I am more energized and I get it out of the way.
I encourage everyone to take a before picture at the start of any weight loss/exercise program, because it is really a great way to see result when you take progression photos down the road. It is great motivation too.

A few of my tips:
make a food journal
if you are having major sugar cravings then brush your teeth...the cravings will go away.
Snack often
get a workout buddy....or two
when you make healthy dinners then make extras for the week.
If you have a bad day there is always tomorrow to make things right. :)

Yeah depending how much ya wanna lose ya gots to eat, eat, eat, eat.

Along with a food journal - start an anonymous blog somewhere and just write your feelings, for you.
Get them out, and even if it seems to serve no purpose, you will be able to go back and see how far you've come.

Drink a lot of water :)

Best of luck, I'm on my own journey and would love to see others doing awesomely!

Over the course of the discussion in this thread http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...sfw-how-changing-my-diet-changed-my-body.html , it's clear that a number of TPF members are actively trying to increase their fitness or lose weight.

Here's my story:

Hmm.. depends. If I join up will I be able to use the trademarked expression "Pit of Crap"?

Sure I'm down.

So what format should our posts be?

Along with a food journal - start an anonymous blog somewhere and just write your feelings, for you.
Get them out, and even if it seems to serve no purpose, you will be able to go back and see how far you've come.

Drink a lot of water :)

Best of luck, I'm on my own journey and would love to see others doing awesomely!

Gallon a day, 3600-4200k fall/winter/spring summer I drop to 2200-2800 cutting

Yay! :cheer:

Waaay too many words for the jock side of the brain. Take up cardio boxing. Get a 100+ pound bag beat the living **** of it for 20-45 minute 5 minutes of jimp before/after each session. Do that for 2-3 days a week, stress down 30%. Or Google for more formal training.

Sorry, I'm an English teacher, what do you want? ;)

I would love a punching bag - seriously, I would really love it. I actually know where I can have one for free. I just have no place to put it at the moment. I like the kickboxing exercises and will be looking for some workouts I can do at home without a lot of equipment.

And yes, despite the wordy side of me, I do like to lift weights and do harder workouts, but at the moment, I'm still just trying to get back into a routine of doing any kind of exercise. I know that I'll up the intensity at some point.

Hmm.. depends. If I join up will I be able to use the trademarked expression "Pit of Crap"?

If you join in, then I'll let you license the term :)

Sure I'm down.

So what format should our posts be?

I'm kind of thinking for the motivation and ideas part, we can just throw out ideas as the occur or vent if it's a particularly tough day to get moving. Something like that.

As for the accountability part, perhaps a weekly update giving a quick run-down of activity? High points or low points? What was good or bad for the week? We can choose a day to post our update, or a goal for the week and then come back a week later to say if you've reached that goal.

If it gets to seem too much of a chore or obligation, we can skip it - it shouldn't be a policing sort of a thread. But maybe if we know we will be posting an update, we might be more motivated to make sure we have positive things to report! :)

Any thoughts or other ideas?

Yay! :cheer:

Sorry, I'm an English teacher, what do you want? ;)

I would love a punching bag - seriously, I would really love it. I actually know where I can have one for free. I just have no place to put it at the moment. I like the kickboxing exercises and will be looking for some workouts I can do at home without a lot of equipment.

And yes, despite the wordy side of me, I do like to lift weights and do harder workouts, but at the moment, I'm still just trying to get back into a routine of doing any kind of exercise. I know that I'll up the intensity at some point.

If you join in, then I'll let you license the term :)

I'm kind of thinking for the motivation and ideas part, we can just throw out ideas as the occur or vent if it's a particularly tough day to get moving. Something like that.

As for the accountability part, perhaps a weekly update giving a quick run-down of activity? High points or low points? What was good or bad for the week? We can choose a day to post our update, or a goal for the week and then come back a week later to say if you've reached that goal.

If it gets to seem too much of a chore or obligation, we can skip it - it shouldn't be a policing sort of a thread. But maybe if we know we will be posting an update, we might be more motivated to make sure we have positive things to report! :)

Any thoughts or other ideas?

Get those dummies that are adult punch clowns. Very reasonable and there is Craigslist :)

Wow, I put a lot of smileys in that last post.

I would like to punch a clown. Are those the inflatable weebles? Or are there sand-filled ones that I can prop in a corner or something?

Ah okay, cool! Before I start on my personal rant, I'd just like to rant a little about P90X. It's a really great program...if you do it in its entirety - meaning you go in order, take the rest days, and follow the meal plan. I think that's why a lot of people don't see the results they want. It's designed as a program and not really as a stand alone product, so in order to get the "results not typical" kind of results in the television, you have to basically live the program. :(

Now, I have an agitating situation. I've always been skinny no matter how much or little I eat. I basically stay the same weight, but it's not enough weight. 5'11 140lbs of pure bone.

Plus the fact that I have a problem eating enough calories. Like, physically, I can't eat that much at all most days.

If I could gain 10-15 lbs of muscle I'd be good, so those are my goals. Start eating healthy calorie dense foods and gain muscle... Somehow.

There are so many different workouts and crap I'm not really sure where to begin.

Also: what kind of foods/what's the easiest way to eat enough calories to make building muscle worthwhile. Does anyone know of some helpful resources?

Wow, I put a lot of smileys in that last post.

I would like to punch a clown. Are those the inflatable weebles? Or are there sand-filled ones that I can prop in a corner or something?

Sand-filled

Ah okay, cool! Before I start on my personal rant, I'd just like to rant a little about P90X. It's a really great program...if you do it in its entirety - meaning you go in order, take the rest days, and follow the meal plan. I think that's why a lot of people don't see the results they want. It's designed as a program and not really as a stand alone product, so in order to get the "results not typical" kind of results in the television, you have to basically live the program. :(

Now, I have an agitating situation. I've always been skinny no matter how much or little I eat. I basically stay the same weight, but it's not enough weight. 5'11 140lbs of pure bone.

Plus the fact that I have a problem eating enough calories. Like, physically, I can't eat that much at all most days.

If I could gain 10-15 lbs of muscle I'd be good, so those are my goals. Start eating healthy calorie dense foods and gain muscle... Somehow.

There are so many different workouts and crap I'm not really sure where to begin.

Also: what kind of foods/what's the easiest way to eat enough calories to make building muscle worthwhile. Does anyone know of some helpful resources?
Maybe some of the guys can help you on this one. Manny? IByte?

Most reactions

Back