Fixed Lens vs. Fixed Focus?

realmike15

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
i'm not sure if i'm totally clear on the differences, or if i'm using the correct terms. from what i've read/heard a Fixed Lens doesn't offer any zoom, but can gather more light, and allow you to shoot in darker situations, as well as allow a wider Fstop setting.

all i know about fixed focus lens is there is no focus adjustment. what are the benefits here?

Well, you have it right enough to say so. as for light gathering ability I have seen some zooms that way out did some primes but for the most part primes are generally faster.

As for fixed focus....I can't say I've seen a fixed focus lens on anything reasent and deasent. I do have a few cameras with fixed focus lenses, two are box cameras and another is a knockoff toy camera. There is no real advantage to fixed focus, provided you know the focus point of the lens they are capable of sharp photos but you have to move the camera to that spot interfering with composition plans at times. Wile the box cameras I have should proove deasent, they are from the thirties and before the most reasent fixed focus camera is a peice of junk, bought in 2003 I think.

Last edited:
sorry, i posted this in the wrong place. i had a couple of windows open on this website, and i accidently posted on the wrong one. could someone please move me to the proper section.

thanks for the replies.

i just bought the Rebel XS... been wanting a DSLR for years and i finally took the dive. i've got about 4 years of photography, 3 in high school and 1 in college. i'm looking to get a nice Wide Angel and maybe another regular Fixed Lens. i plead stupidity to the DSLR lens market, all my lens' on my old canon SLR were hand me downs. i'm not really sure for example at what point a wide angel becomes a fish eye.

i like taking pictures with strange perspectives... or a strange focal point with a small depth of field. i'm trying to keep a reasonable budget, this is really just a hobby for me. i was hoping i could spend $300-$400 and still get something decent.

A fixed length lens (also a "prime lens") a lens with one focal length, no zooming. They are typically made to be fast lenses (wide apertures for shallow depths of field and lots of light gathering for faster shutter speeds and lower ISOs). They also generally have little to no distortion, but if they do, it's easily correctable (ie.: no mustache distortion).

A fixed focus lens is what is used on really cheap throw-away point and shoot film cameras. It means you have one short focal length and one focus point (usually infinity).

i plead stupidity to the DSLR lens market, all my lens' on my old canon SLR were hand me downs. i'm not really sure for example at what point a wide angel becomes a fish eye.
Are they FD or EOS lenses?

A fixed length lens (also a "prime lens") a lens with one focal length, no zooming. They are typically made to be fast lenses (wide apertures for shallow depths of field and lots of light gathering for faster shutter speeds and lower ISOs). They also generally have little to no distortion, but if they do, it's easily correctable (ie.: no mustache distortion).

A fixed focus lens is what is used on really cheap throw-away point and shoot film cameras. It means you have one short focal length and one focus point (usually infinity).

i'm actually not sure. it's an old Canon SLR from the 80's i believe. i have a wide angel, a fixed telephoto, and a telephoto zoom.

my new camera only has the lens that came with it. an EFS 18-55mm lens. i'm assuming it's an EOS lens though since the camera is EOS.

whats the difference between FD and EOS?

FD is Canon's old manual focus mount. EOS lenses are Canon's autofocus mount. They are are not compatible with eachother.

If the lenses that you have a Canon EF lenses (autofocus), they are EOS lenses that will mount on your new camera.

i plead stupidity to the DSLR lens market, all my lens' on my old canon SLR were hand me downs.

Lens technology has changed over the years but the base ideaology is no different than it was fifty years ago, most of what you learned on those handme downs is the same as it is on the modern equivalents.

I can almost garentee they are FD. the OP sounds old enough to assume who ever handed them down likely bought in the 70's or maybe the early 80's.

That said, if my assumption is correct, those FD lenses won't work on the Digital body. The mount is totally different. Look at the back of one of your old lenses, does it look like this

Canon FD mount by Battou - Photo Lucidity

*EDIT*

lol I'm slow, two new posts wile I was typing :lmao:

As other may tell you as well. Canon has a EF 50mm F/1.8 II lens that cost less than US$100 new. That lens can give you a very shadow Dof and is very good in terms of optical performance. (Best bang for the bucks lens)

Take a look at the front of the lens. If you see any text that said "EF" i.e. "CANON LENS EF ......" It should work in your camera.

i don't have both cameras in front of me, at work right now. i do know the old one is a manual focus camera. so i guess it's an FD from what you guys are telling me. i'm ok with buying new lens', i guess i'm just trying to figure out where to start my new collection based on my needs.

Take a look at the front of the lens. If you see any text that said "EF" i.e. "CANON LENS EF ......" It should work in your camera.

That does not work with third party glass, one of canons stipulations for third party manufacturers if they are not permitted to use the actual mount designations, been that way as long as I can remember if not longer. No third party lens is going to be marked EF/FD/R or whatever on the retainer ring. That is why when you see third party lenese for sale on the internet they are listed as fitting Canon auto focus or Canon manual focus.

i don't have both cameras in front of me, at work right now. i do know the old one is a manual focus camera. so i guess it's an FD from what you guys are telling me. i'm ok with buying new lens', i guess i'm just trying to figure out where to start my new collection based on my needs.

If they are FD lenses, don't just discard them as junk. Despite being obsolete they are very good lenses. Since you already have the glass for it That old film camera may be good to keep around just incase something happens to your digital requiring repair, you'll still be able to continue shooting.

If they are FD lenses, don't just discard them as junk. Despite being obsolete they are very good lenses. Since you already have the glass for it That old film camera may be good to keep around just incase something happens to your digital requiring repair, you'll still be able to continue shooting.

oh i wasn't planning on chucking it, the camera takes beautiful photos. it's just difficult to go the film route anymore, being able to see a picture right after you've taken it... it's just too much to pass up.

i'm not sure how much use i'll get out of my SLR anymore, but i definitely wouldn't sell it or throw it away.

oh i wasn't planning on chucking it, the camera takes beautiful photos. it's just difficult to go the film route anymore, being able to see a picture right after you've taken it... it's just too much to pass up.

i'm not sure how much use i'll get out of my SLR anymore, but i definitely wouldn't sell it or throw it away.

Film route is not that difficult :greenpbl: I never transitioned to digital :lmao:

But anyway, I would suggest storing the glass and body someplace dry with silica gel packs if you feel it won't get too much use. That should go a ways toward preventing athletes lens wile in storage keeping them useable when you want to pull it out. Hell I keep the gel packs in my rear caps on my daily use lenses just because. but anyways take good care of them and they will last plenty long.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back