Fixed Prime (50mm)

Whiteram

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
It has been recommended by a few that i utilize/purchase a 50mm 1.8 fixed prime lense for my d40 for learning purposes.
can anyone explain this to me? I am very driven to learn how to use my camera to its furthest extent of quality. I have no problem purchasing this lense if it is justifyable...

any explanation are comments are welcome...
thanks in advance peeps!

"Noob from NY"

-Rich

Basically it's that its manual focus on the d40, and you will learn more about focusing, and it doesnt have zoom so you will have to be creative about using your feet to move. Id say its a good buy, especially for the price.

other than the manual focus practice, any other pros? cons?
I have been practicing with my 18-55 and a little with my 55-200..

btw...thanks for responding....

like photogincollege said, you will have to move! you cant just zoom in or zoom out to get the shot, you have to do it yourself. I recently purchased a 50mm/ f1.4 and I love it. It makes me work for the shot. I'm sure you will love it as well. And the price on the 1.8 is great. They are, what, under $150? Go for it!
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/member.php?u=19149

Yeah, 1.8 is a great lens and a great value. Don't get to many sweeter deals. The 1.4 version is also amazing but quite a bit more. I think the 1.8 is around 100. Pretty well under 150

If you gentlemen think it is a good idea for practice and pure learning experience, then consider it done. I have had my dslr for 2 weeks and am very motivated! I have been reading for hours on this forum, and have learned a wealth of knowledge. Unfortunately, I need to go out and actually practice what I read to retain the skills..

I can buy this lense for about 70 dollars, or the 1.4 for 125 dollars...
I think I will grab the 1.8 and give it a couple days practice this weekend with the kids...

would you guys mind c&c a few pix here on monday and let me know what you think? hate to be a pest, but your knowledge is very appreciated and i cant thank you all enough...

-Rich

C&C is fine with me. Can I ask where you found them for 70 and 125. 70 seems reasonable but 125 for 1.4, unless its the old one, seems super low.

my brother in law owns a well established, high end photography shop.
he said he would sell either to me for this +/- a few bucks....
they might even be Nikon refurbished. The 55-200 I bought from him this week is refurbished and works flawlessly.

ah ok, i was just makin sure you werent going online and getting a "great deal" bait and switch. Have you ever manually focused before. The only complaint ive heard from d40 owners, is the viewfinder is rather small so it can make it hard to manual focus.

i have tried a bit with my 18-55. you are right, its not as easy as one might think. Ive had to put my body in some precarious positions to obtain focus...lol
I am anxious to give it a try with th f/1.8 55....
I will give it my best effort and keep you posted...
thanks for your honest opinion photoincollege....your honesty is refreshing...
keep in touch and ill post some trial shots sunday evening or monday morning..
-
-Rich

Most reactions

Back