Fixer Chemical

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by puroticorico, Jun 4, 2007.

1. puroticorico

puroticorico TPF Noob!

Hi. I'm in a beginning photography class and have been asked what the difference between the fix you use to develop film and the fix used to make prints. Any ideas?

2. deadtoaster2

deadtoaster2 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I took a beginning photography class about a year ago, and as far as I can remember... they are the same chemicals. Then again I never did mix them so I am not completely sure on that.

If I had to take a guess I would say that the difference is that the print fixer is diluted a lot more than the film fixer.

Might want to wait for somebody who is a little more sure on the answer however.

3. deanimator

deanimator TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    There are two types of fixer: "Normal" and "Rapid".

They work for film and paper....just the times are different. For example, with rapid fixer: 1 minute for film vs 3 minutes for paper.

But don´t mix the two types.

The dilution factors are usually on the package....for example 1:10

If you use the same fixer type for both then there is no problem with mixing them.

But don´t use really old fixer...please.

4. ann

ann No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    you may use the same type of fixer for both. However the dilution ratio is different. Traditional one keeps the fixer used for film in a separate container than one for paper as the ratio are, or can be much different.

the fixing times will vary with paper type as well as ratio. i.e. RC vs fiber

also i must disagree with the above response. film must be fixed for longer than one minute. RC paper has a one minute fixing time.

film is usually 4 to 5 minutes; depending on which fixer. Read the directions of the packaging .