Fixing flash pin dots in eyes

I think the problem is not that you have catchlights in the eyes...it's that you shot with on-camera flash, which (in general) leads to bland looking photos. That is why it's so, so much better to have an accessory flash that can tilt & swivel, allowing you to bounce the flash, to create better lighting on your subjects.

Use the Clone stamp tool. Zoom way in on her eyes. Make the Clone Stamp tool small (the [ key makes it smaller and the ] key makes it bigger) enough to sample a portion of her pupil.
You hold down the Alt key and left click to set the sample area. In the tool bar make sure Aligned Sample is not selected.

$cropeyes.jpg

Big Mike said:
I think the problem is not that you have catchlights in the eyes...it's that you shot with on-camera flash, which (in general) leads to bland looking photos. That is why it's so, so much better to have an accessory flash that can tilt & swivel, allowing you to bounce the flash, to create better lighting on your subjects.

I did bounce the flash up off the ceiling, or tried. The ceiling was dark and kind of high. As I said, I'm sure this would have been better with other accessories, was using what I had which was a Nikon SB 900 flash. This flash tilts and rotates.

Thanks!!

KHM - Thanks! I know how to use the clone tool but didn't know about the shortcuts, thanks!

I don't like how the eyes look with the pupils filled in... so I made the diameter smaller and filled them in some leaving some of the light. They're not perfect yet but I think they're better..? Also sharpened them some... hopefully fixed the exposure and white balance.

6945191684_100d7579b3_b.jpg

Last edited:
another way would be using the burn tool and make it just enough to cover the bright spot and set the range to highlights and exposure to 50% and click about 5 times on each eye or until it suits your taste.

Attachments

• $cropeyes.jpg
    $cropeyes.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 167
Thanks!! I actually just finished using the dodge and burn to edit the eyes. I think decreasing the size of her pupil a little helped a lot IMO. Will post tomorrow.

You can even get pre-made replacement catch lights. Remove your square softbox the center and put a pretty circle or octabox light in the right place in their eyes LoL

^^ Haha... I was trying to think of a way to catch light better in her eyes in post. This was all practice for me.. and now I'm using the photos to practice with editing. I don't normally shoot photos of people, so it's a first.

Here's my latest revision. I ended up leaving the dots in her eyes because after making the pupils smaller I realized that's what I didn't like most... taking the dots out all together made her eyes look scary!

6947663698_10dd107665_b.jpg

EDIT.. well, I thought it was my latest revision... I cloned out those white spots on her dress.

lmao, zooming out was TOTALLY different than what I was imagining the rest of the image to look like! :p

Really, just tone down the shine in her hair (using any of the above mentioned techniques) and It really isn't THAT bad of a picture! I mean it doesn't have any creative elements to it, but for just capturing a moment it really isn't bad :)

Personally, i'd leave the eyes alone. She looks much more human with the light in them IMO..

^^ as noted... I'm not going to take the lights out of her eyes. I dont like how it looks either.

And Oscar-- I'll work on her hair next! Which tool should I use for that? I wasn't really able to take any "creative" photos, all were candid. This photo was right after someone put on her bridal tierra that a friend made (it fit the theme). The first one i shot cut off at her hand so atleast i thought to get another with her ring. had a great photo area outside but it was super windy and the girls wouldn't go out bc their hair would blow everywhere.

Burn tool?

Last edited:
jaxx419: you can still clean up her skin a bit more IMO and you should look into LYNDA.COM (I am in no way endorsing or promoting this site)if you havent already. They have some of the best tutorials for editing. I learned so much from them. you can also soften the crows feet around the eyes. i honestly thought the photo was gonna look completely different as well.

jaxx419: you can still clean up her skin a bit more IMO and you should look into LYNDA.COM (I am in no way endorsing or promoting this site)if you havent already. They have some of the best tutorials for editing. I learned so much from them. you can also soften the crows feet around the eyes. i honestly thought the photo was gonna look completely different as well.

... I'm not saying it is bad or anything; but you definitely are endorsing and promoting it :lol:

And jax, you could use burn; just try not to make the highlights become lowlights ie. don't burn them to black. Clone tool would work if you have a lot of patience.
Or the paint brush tool and set it to "darken" (produces a similar result to burn)

Il'll try but don't really want to soften her skin... She has beautiful complexion as is. I already removed what looked like a scar or wrinkle that went vertical down the middle of her forehead and one on the right side of her cheek.

Just curious, what did y'all think the photo would be? lol

And thx for the hair fixing info!

Last edited:

... I'm not saying it is bad or anything; but you definitely are endorsing and promoting it :lol:

And jax, you could use burn; just try not to make the highlights become lowlights ie. don't burn them to black. Clone tool would work if you have a lot of patience.
Or the paint brush tool and set it to "darken" (produces a similar result to burn)

I guess it is to a certain point but I was just tryig to help her as far as editing goes.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back