Fixing?

nealjpage

multi format master in a film geek package
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well, I thought better about re-using my fixer, so I went out and got some more. Processed 5 rolls and I'm wondering if I was supposed to increase fix time because of the amount of film. That or temp wasn't high enough--hot water in darkroom is not working for some reason. Anyways, each roll has just a little whiteness to it. Now that it's been rinsed and Photo-floed, can I refix or am I SOL? :confused:

Actually you can refix the film. It isn't the best solution as you may get a little residual fogging but it does work.
The milky white on the film is silver halide and the fix should remove it. Then wash, fotoflo and dry in the normal way.
You should always check your films before you put them in the wash. If you see any white patches or milkiness just refix.
It was probably due to the fix being cold - get it up to 20C with hot water from a kettle.

Thanks, Hertz. I'll give 'er a shot tomorrow and see what I can get.

Depends on how much light the film has received and how long since you fixed it and probably some other factors.
It should have worked. The white is undeveloped silver in the form of silver halide. Thiosulphate fix disolves this out. If you leave the film (or print) in the fix long enough the black developed silver gets disolved out too.
Maybe you didn't leave it in the fix long enough.

How long for re-fixing? Five minutes?

Do it by inspection. It's OK to do it with the lights on so just keep taking it out to see how it's doing.
Make sure the fix is at 20C and agitate - continuously will make it work quicker.

Thanks, Hertz. Worked great--didn't even see any dimisishment in quality or any fogging.

Most reactions

Back