flaky people:vent

First off, sorry for any typos. I'm typing this on my phone while on a treadmill. (Note when I say model, I mean friends willing to let me photograph them)

You may remember my last model showed up less than enthusiastic about being photographed.

Another model wanted to shoot on her lunch break.

Another one wants to do glamor shots while our five total kids under 7 run around unsupervised.

I had a shoot rescheduled for the fourth time and go figure, she just canceled on me.

I'm getting so frustrated! I just want to practice lighting on something other than a teddy bear and myself. I study, make notes, carve out time practice lighting in advance, and even though you tell them over and over, its like people just don't understand what it takes to make a good photograph.

*sigh*
It's almost as if someone HAS to "go pro" and charge a deposit just so people will actually feel invested in the process.
sounds like you need a sitter. Or just shoot the kids (with a camera i mean not a gun)

My model needs to be restrained to be shot.

Cooper modeling by longm1985, on Flickr

I feel your pain, Jazzie. It's HARD to get anyone to commit these days unless there's money involved.

If the dance studio is available, ask 2 or 3 friends to chip in to rent it for an afternoon. There, now they have money invested. And make it a kid-free event, or have an additional chip in to pay for a babysitter to come to the studio and deal with the kids while you all are shooting (if other arrangements can't be made.)

Damnedtourists.jpg

This clown just about knocked me over to get in front of me.

All it takes is one little push...

First off, sorry for any typos. I'm typing this on my phone while on a treadmill. (Note when I say model, I mean friends willing to let me photograph them)

You may remember my last model showed up less than enthusiastic about being photographed.

Another one wants to do glamor shots while our five total kids under 7 run around unsupervised.

I had a shoot rescheduled for the fourth time and go figure, she just canceled on me.

I'm getting so frustrated! I just want to practice lighting on something other than a teddy bear and myself. I study, make notes, carve out time practice lighting in advance, and even though you tell them over and over, its like people just don't understand what it takes to make a good photograph.

*sigh*
It's almost as if someone HAS to "go pro" and charge a deposit just so people will actually feel invested in the process.

I hate to break it to you... but people, as a general whole, suck.

I prefer when other photographers, who also are photographing waterfalls, somehow think you don't mind them walking through your exposure

I have the same problem jazzie. I really don't want any stranger into my house. There's too much to loose if they are a good model, but also have the odd side job of burglary or something like that. And I don't want to spend $$ on a studio or something. I'm opting to try and get friends to have their daughters/kids model for free pics etc.
aGuyWalking-1.jpg

BRI_7391.JPG

no studio here. NO money for that. i shoot friends/acquaintances their kids occasionally and have even gotten paid for it before (vs me paying to shoot). sounds like they don't really want to be photographed and they are just doing it to appease you. Usually if someone doesn't want to be photographed i leave them alone. Actually sometimes if someone does want to be photographed i leave them alone too as i don't like dealing with people.

hey, maybe that is the trick. If you stop caring whether you shoot them or not they may suddenly want you to and work with you. If you are off begging for people to shoot it might be coming off wrong.

*sigh*
sounds like you need a sitter. Or just shoot the kids (with a camera i mean not a gun)

My model needs to be restrained to be shot.

Cooper modeling by longm1985, on Flickr

I feel your pain, Jazzie. It's HARD to get anyone to commit these days unless there's money involved.

:Giggle: This isn't a bad idea!

If the dance studio is available, ask 2 or 3 friends to chip in to rent it for an afternoon. There, now they have money invested. And make it a kid-free event, or have an additional chip in to pay for a babysitter to come to the studio and deal with the kids while you all are shooting (if other arrangements can't be made.)

I think the issue here is that its just NOT a priority for them, or maybe they just truly don't understand the atmosphere that needs to be setup for good photos. Most of them don't have a problem hiring sitters for MLM parties, or the occasional ladies night.

I prefer when other photographers, who also are photographing waterfalls, somehow think you don't mind them walking through your exposure

I have the same problem jazzie. I really don't want any stranger into my house. There's too much to loose if they are a good model, but also have the odd side job of burglary or something like that. And I don't want to spend $$ on a studio or something. I'm opting to try and get friends to have their daughters/kids model for free pics etc.
View attachment 89745

We made some "friends" a few years ago that ended up trying to steal my hubbies identity. He would steal paperwork from the house trying to find information. Ever since then we are just SUPER cautious of who we let in the house, and where they go if they are "new" friends. Unfortunately, my studio doubles as the office, so its just not really an option at the moment!

View attachment 89746

no studio here. NO money for that. i shoot friends/acquaintances their kids occasionally and have even gotten paid for it before (vs me paying to shoot). sounds like they don't really want to be photographed and they are just doing it to appease you. Usually if someone doesn't want to be photographed i leave them alone. Actually sometimes if someone does want to be photographed i leave them alone too as i don't like dealing with people.
This is my next tactic. I have asked to borrow a friends older girls, one at a time to practice some glamour lighting on. We shall see if the kids are more excited than the adults!
hey, maybe that is the trick. If you stop caring whether you shoot them or not they may suddenly want you to and work with you. If you are off begging for people to shoot it might be coming off wrong.
I don't think I am pushy. For instance, the last time I shot, I asked if she wanted maternity photos done, she said no and I said "Well the offer is open if you change your mind!" She ended up contacting me after that.

I'm flaky, but only because the humidifer at my house failed.

UGH...
totally understand how you feel about flaky people.
I mean...I cant tell you how often i have to sit and listen to them whine..

"oooh the bone is sticking out of my arm"
"oooh can you stop the bleeding?"
"oooh my terminal cancer is making me nauseous again"

sheesh people... have some consideration for other people around you.

Guess your husband isn't interested in posing?

Lol! He has offered to exchange modeling sessions for ummm....things I'm not willing to give him. ;-) so we are at an impasse there.

Lol! He has offered to exchange modeling sessions for ummm....things I'm not willing to give him. ;-) so we are at an impasse there.
I'm actually at a loss as to what you wouldn't be willing to do for your husband, or why it would take such an unmentionable act to get him to help you with your portraits.

I guess not all couples are prone to the sort of sinful debauchery that me and the wife are.

Most reactions

Back