Flash accessories....choices choices

FranDaMan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Yesterday I bought myself a Sto-Fen omnibounce and a set of Cactus V5 triggers for my 430EXII flash !!

Happy as a pig in mud and I can start experimenting a bit.

But I wanna start doing a bit of portrait work. I have a 5 in 1 reflector diffusor, but I am looking at umbrella's/softboxes. In another thread Keith allready gave me some good advice on umbrella types and sizes.
I just noticed though that in most books I read, they use softboxes and not umbrella's. Especially on location shoots. What would be the reason to choose softbox and not umbrella ?
Are there many pro's/cons ?!?

I would think Umbrellas would be easier to bring than softboxes, but do softboxes give better light ?

..... What would be the reason to choose softbox and not umbrella ?.....

.....I would think Umbrellas would be easier to bring than softboxes, but do softboxes give better light ?.....
I wouldn't say softboxes necessarily give "better light", but would say the two devices provide somewhat different light. Softboxes provide more diffusion, but eat more light. Good softboxes have 2 diffusion panels, the front panel, and an interior panel.

Softboxes allow better control of the light, and are a little more stable in the wind. Softboxes cost a lot more than umbrellas do, but umbrellas ar easier to set up. A brolly is sort of both an umbrella and a softbox: Photek 36" Softlighter, Diffusing Umbrella with Black Cover

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Hmmm....since this is just hobby, and I am as lazy as can be.....Umbrella's are the way to go then.

Most reactions

Back