1. (you can dismiss this notice by clicking the X in the upper right hand corner)

As part of our new initiative on TPF you can come and take part in a series of new in-depth articles and discussions every month. Featured this month are the methods that one of our top avian photographers, Kristofer Rowe uses to get his stunning photos (as also featured on Tamron USA website as well!). So drop in and take part, I know that Kristofer will be happy to answer your questions and hear what you do out in the field with your camera!

Capturing Distinctive Bird Images

Flash accessories....choices choices

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by FranDaMan, May 22, 2011.

1. FranDaMan

FranDaMan TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Yesterday I bought myself a Sto-Fen omnibounce and a set of Cactus V5 triggers for my 430EXII flash !!

Happy as a pig in mud and I can start experimenting a bit.

But I wanna start doing a bit of portrait work. I have a 5 in 1 reflector diffusor, but I am looking at umbrella's/softboxes. In another thread Keith allready gave me some good advice on umbrella types and sizes.
    I just noticed though that in most books I read, they use softboxes and not umbrella's. Especially on location shoots. What would be the reason to choose softbox and not umbrella ?
    Are there many pro's/cons ?!?

I would think Umbrellas would be easier to bring than softboxes, but do softboxes give better light ?

2. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I wouldn't say softboxes necessarily give "better light", but would say the two devices provide somewhat different light. Softboxes provide more diffusion, but eat more light. Good softboxes have 2 diffusion panels, the front panel, and an interior panel.

Softboxes allow better control of the light, and are a little more stable in the wind. Softboxes cost a lot more than umbrellas do, but umbrellas ar easier to set up. A brolly is sort of both an umbrella and a softbox: Photek 36" Softlighter, Diffusing Umbrella with Black Cover

3. FranDaMan

FranDaMan TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Hmmm....since this is just hobby, and I am as lazy as can be.....Umbrella's are the way to go then.