Flash Advice

n0ccj

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Does anyone have any advice on flashes? I do not even know know what to look for. I have a Digital Rebel XT with several lenses but no flashes (yet). can anyone offer me a little advice on what i should look for?

I'm not going to pretend to be an expert on flashes so I'll leave the real tech-specs out of this, but there's a few things you'll want to look for.

First is you'll want the ability angle the head of the flash, so it's not fixed facing forwards. Left and right, as well as just up. Essential for bouncing the light off ceilings for example, with the camera portrait or landscape.

You'll also want to check the flash has some sort of TTL metering so it can adjust it's power and range based on the focus of the camera.

Some flashes also come with infra red sensors which can be used for firing them from a distance, or for syncing with other flashes and firing at the same time. This is really optional depending on what your needs are I think.

What kind of price range are you thinking? I've had lots of luck with the Sigma 500 DG Super, or there's the cheaper 500 DG ST model. I've used the Canon equivalent flashes (Canon 420ex, 550ex for example) and they do have a better build quality, but a higher price to match.

I just ordered a 430EX for my XT. It should be able to do all the things aMac listed. I don't know about the infrared thing however.

well, i dont have a budget, per se, but ive seen several flashes around 300 ish. Well, i also dont know what i am getting into i want to be able to use the flash with the next camera i buy (another canon probably the 5d or 30d). either way i would like to know more about the best flash for my camera.

The 430EX II has infrared. I personally have it and it does everything I need and seems to work better than my friends Sigma DG ST. You can always read reviews from B&H's website. The three I usually hear good things about when talking about flashes is the Canon 430EX, 580EX, and the Sigma DG Super.

what makes the 300 dollar difference in the 580 vs the 430?

Well, i went down and looked at the 2 canon flashes and 2 other 'cheaper' flashes. I just cant figure out why one of the flashes '580ex' is 485. and the 430ex is 265. i did notice that the 580 head turns more and the 580 says it has an AF-assist beam whatever that is. Any help would be appreciated.

It's a stronger flash, it'll project the light further, but other than that I'm not sure.

Mike that's... unhelpful without a reason.

It depends what you need out of a flash. Do you intend to use it as just a small fill light, then any flash will do. If you want to bounce it then you will need more power and a head that tilts and swivels. Beyond that they all do pretty much the same.

i would like to use fill flashand make the whole background a little brighter too. I usually do not use flash. Usually i am taking landscape shots. here is an example:
IMG_4162.JPG

Most reactions

Back