Flash Batteries

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by hacksaw35, Sep 27, 2008.

1. hacksaw35

hacksaw35 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I am currently using the rechargeable energizer NiMH 2200mAh with my SB600. They work pretty good, but I was wondering if I would have a noticeably quicker recycle time with something like Maha 2700mAh.

Thanks.

2. JerryPH

JerryPH No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Nope, nothing noticeable in real life, but you would get a few more pics out of it.

One of the best things I learned to increase battery life and shorten recycle times is get the flash off camera and closer to your subject. Using this train of thought, I have never had to go over 1/2 power, and recycle times are faster and batteries last much longer.

Pictures come out WAY better too!

3. Phranquey

Phranquey TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The mAh rating refers to the capacity of the battery, like a gas tank. It will not recharge the flash any faster, just give you a longer lifespan between charges.

4. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Make sure the batteries are fresh. NiMH batteries lose power, even when not in use, so you need to keep them freshly charged.

To increase the recycle time of the flash, have it fire at lower power settings, as Jerry mentioned. You get the flash closer to the subject, you can use a wider aperture or you could turn up the ISO. When I'm shooting a wedding reception (usually a dark room)...I'll often shoot at ISO 400 because it's easier on the flash than shooting at ISO 100.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2008
  5. hacksaw35

hacksaw35 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Ok. Thanks for the info guys.