Flash Bracket for Sony D-SLRs

AUZambo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I got the Sony A-100 about 8 months ago and will probably be saving up for the newly released A-700 over the next several months. I want to get a flash bracket like the one pictured below, but I'm not sure how to connect the flash with the camera.

I found a sony flash sync cord on ebay (sony sync cord auction). Will this work? The bracket pictured below is described as one for Canon & Nikon, but I don't see why it wouldn't work for the Sony model if I can find a sync cord. Here's the description for the bracket: bracket auction.

Will the combination of these two things work?? Here's the sync cord & the flash bracket. Thanks for your input!

52012834_tp.jpg

595b_1.JPG

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Those brackets are pretty universal, so I'd say that it would certainly work. The important part is that you have the correct cord.

Also, take note on the connection that holds the flash to the bracket. The one pictured above is fairly standard but it's got a flaw...it clips the 'shoe' of the cord to the bracket and the flash is mounted to the shoe. All the weight of the flash is putting pressure on the 'flange' of the cord's shoe...which is probably plastic. And once that little piece of plastic is broken, it won't stay on the bracket.

A common way to prevent this, is to use a sacrificial shoe bottom like THIS.

Or, if the shoe on the cord has female threads on the bottom, you can replace that clip on the bracket with a thumb screw or even a bolt.

There are other accesories that you might want to look into. An anti-twist plate for example. Normally, you just use the camera's tripod threads to attach the bracket...but with all the moving around, the camera might twist on that mount and you will be out of alignment...a real PITA. The anti-twist plate attaches to the camera and then attaches to the bracket in such as way as to prevent the camera from twisting.

Most reactions

Back