Flash Diffuser.

most of my points are in the linked thread above - but to sum up - don't Forget the Lumiquest softbox - or similar design of home make. ITs more suited to direct aimed flash outside than say a fong or a stofen since both of those are designed to throw light away from the flash to then bounce off walls and thus return to the subject. They work because the walls become the source of the light and since they are many times the size of the flash head the resulting light is diffused far more.
When outside they are in effect throwing away more power whilst giving a little diffusion - so its more like simply using flashunderexposure. Whilst a softbox design is working by increases the direct source of the flash light - of course the bigger the box you go the more diffusion you get.
I agree, the Sto-Fen isn't the ideal solution and there are better options for defusion (such as the Lumiquest). I use Sto-Fen the way I do because of it's small size and ease of use. I can stick it in my pocket, pull it out quickly, mount it quickly, it can be packed in my crammed bag without fear of being damaged and it gives me the desired effect. I don't want to fiddle with a collapsible softbox.

I don't use the Fong because it's huge (doesn't even come close to fitting in my bag) and it doesn't do anything I can't already do with either a bare bounce flash or my Sto-Fen.

The best flash accessory is...knowledge of how to use your flash and knowledge of how light works.
;)

The thread a while ago wasnt necessarily about choosing a diffuser, it asked what it did and what the gels do. With that title, I didnt know if anyone would actually look at the thread and answer the question that I would have posted at the end of the thread instead of at the beginning. I will e picking up the softbox. I was using a friends this morning and I do like how it works. I will also take a look at the ones listed above. Thanks everyone!

Mark

I don't use the Fong because it's huge (doesn't even come close to fitting in my bag) and it doesn't do anything I can't already do with either a bare bounce flash or my Sto-Fen.

Nice. Let's assume that everyone is using flashes for the same purpose as you.

With this argument, why even carry the Sto-Fen? I mean if you can do anything with a bare bounce flash as you can with the stofen, why even waste time or energy?

Wait. Is it possible that the stofen allows you to do things the bare bounce won't?

Wait. Is it possible that the GF allows you to do things that the stofen wont?

It's fine that you don't like the GF for many reasons, but stop trying to act like it serves no purpose.

TO THE OP:

I've done my own experiments and tests and the GF diffuser does incredible things that I haven't been able to reproduce using the Stofen, as well as other diffusers.

Hey Dscience, which GF do you use? I'm thinking about picking up the collapsible one, maybe.

After some research, I am seriously considering the Lumiquest Softbox III. What does everyone think about the GF with the inverted dome for direct lighting shots? Does this work well?

Thanks again.
Mark

I made my recommendation based off of what I saw the last 3 wedding photographers using at weddings I've been to.

No personal experience, yet.

Mark - the softboxe and minisoftbox both still let a speedlite flash use its built in meter for auto flash firing - if you use the larger softbox III you will lose that feature and be on manual flash only.
For a mobile softbox I think its about as big as you can go whilst being able to stay on camera (if you wish) whilst larger softboxes will need you to move the flash off to fit them.

With this argument, why even carry the Sto-Fen? I mean if you can do anything with a bare bounce flash as you can with the stofen, why even waste time or energy?
I didn't say I can do everything with just a bare flash. There was an "or" in there. A Sto-Fen doesn't do any anything without a flash... at least I've not been able to get mine to do much. It requires a flash to work.

Wait. Is it possible that the stofen allows you to do things the bare bounce won't?
I can't believe you figured that out all on your own. :) I never said otherwise. I'm not sure I follow your line of logic.

Wait. Is it possible that the GF allows you to do things that the stofen wont?
Nope, I've found that with my flash and my Sto-Fen I can do everything I can with a Fong, only cheaper and it doesn't require me to get a backpack to carry around my big dingus device. :D

As a matter of fact, can you show a technical comparison of modifiers done by anyone other than Fong that shows the Fong coming in anywhere near the top of the list of most useful flash light modifiers?

It's fine that you don't like the GF for many reasons, but stop trying to act like it serves no purpose.
It's fine that you think the Fong is God's gift to flash photography but a bunch of other photogs agree it serves a very narrow purpose - one which other more cost effective products can do.

I've done my own experiments and tests and the GF diffuser does incredible things that I haven't been able to reproduce using the Stofen, as well as other diffusers.
...things I've shown in my Sto-Fen examples that are actually quite easy to replicate.

What tests have you done? You asked me to show you what a Sto-Fen could do and to post sample images. That tells me you didn't test a Sto-Fen against a Fong. I suspect you've only used a Fong and you've gotten it to give you results you apparently think are unique... which also tells me you haven't tested too many other products as I replicated your results with a few minutes of experimentation with my Sto-Fen.

Can you post some of your test shots from these experiments with different products? I would be curious to see how you arrived at your conclusion the Fong does something unique.

Last edited:
Just to throw in more options.........

The David Honl system

Alzo Digital - The softbox and bracket can be purchased separately without getting the flash flip bracket. I can mount the flash and softbox on a light stand.

Depends how you want the diffuser to work ;)
I'd say for oncamera direct flash in portrait or macro areas the Softbox original is good because it lets you keep your auto flash metering (as well as any assist beams also) - whilst if your working with manual flash more the softbox III might be the better route.

But if your then looking at the softbox III consider how your working again - if its portraits of people with the flash offcamera you could even look at the far larger sofboxes for more diffusion -- and then comes the softbox vs umbrella choice. But of course the larger you go the less mobile you start to become.

So first work out a little how you intend to work and go from there - also I find that the softbox original is fine for walking around and never really gets in the way - I can't speak for the larger versions

I would also say take a look at the softbox products... There are a lot of good products out there for defusion. As pointed out elsewhere, pointing a flash directly at a subject and using a Fong (as Dscience does) or a Sto-Fen (as I've done) isn't how those products were originally intended to be used. If you're trying to defuse direct flash, check out products designed for that purpose.

I would also say take a look at the softbox products...

Thats what weve been doing. ;)

That makes perfect sense. I already have umbrellas. A while ago, I got two backdrops, two lightstands, three umbrellas (two white, one silver reflector), two lights with bulbs (nothing great, but it does the job), and a tripod. Free. Major score for being free!

Anyways, I will look into the smaller versions of this. I may end up getting both, and a GF, and stofen. Eventually. All seem to be good for different reasons, and all seem to work well.

Thanks again.
Mark

Remember what I said in that first thread - be carfull of overloading yourself. ;)
Best tip is to get things slowly - get used to them and use them when you might not want to - that will give you better ideas of the limits and what you can get away with when in a pinch.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back