Flash Diffusers

kbuyers

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm looking for something to help soften my flash when I'm doing portraits. Does anyone have any recomendations for a specific kind of diffuser or other product?

Thanks,

What flash?

Popup: Gary Fong Puffer

Otherwise check into the Gary Fong Lightsphere

Lookie there, 9 threads below yours... with sample pics!

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...gallery/191337-lighting-bounce-diffusers.html

:D

Get an external flash and forget the expensive (or even cheap) defusers. Learn how to bounce the flash and use a simple bounce card and you'll get the results you're looking for.

If you're talking about one of those devices that fit over your pop-up flash like the Gary Fong Puffer, you'll do far better with an external flash. The puffer will soften your flash somewhat but it won't change the fact it's directly over your lens so you're still not going to be able to control the shadow it casts all that well. The results won't look very professional, just a little better than bad (which is what a bare pop-up flash is).

Do you have the budget for a good external flash like the SB800 or 580EXII?

Hey Karen,
Welcome to TPF. This subject comes up a lot, and a search on the term flash diffusers yielded over 11 pages of hits for me The Photo Forum - Photography Discussion Forum - Search Results

One thing to note: flash diffusers make the flash softer at close distances, and are great for such things as insects, flowers, coins, and other close-up subjects which are small. But, beyond about 10 to 15 feet, a speedlight flash that uses a slip-on diffuser, does not have anywhere near the softening effect that it does at closer ranges.

There are many products: Sto-Fen Omni Bounce, Lumiquest products of many types, the Gary Fong brand of products (numerous models), as well as air-inflatable soft boxes from PhotoFlex and other brands, and also small fabric softboxes from various manufacturers.

One person whose opinions on this subject opf flash diffusers deserve special attention is Big Mike: he answers a lot of questions about flash diffusers, and he tries to drive home the point,over and over, that a diffuser only soften light when it is a large source, relative to the size of the subject,and distance from light-to-subject. If you wade through the threads, you'll find sample photos, and a lively discussion about flash diffusers. For the record, I like StoFen OmniBounce, Nikon's own StoFen look-alike, and the PhotFlex air-inflatable soft box. As well as what is called a "bounce card",and then, umbrellas or bounced flash.

Lookie there, 9 threads below yours... with sample pics!

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...gallery/191337-lighting-bounce-diffusers.html

:D

Get an external flash and forget the expensive (or even cheap) defusers. Learn how to bounce the flash and use a simple bounce card and you'll get the results you're looking for.

If you're talking about one of those devices that fit over your pop-up flash like the Gary Fong Puffer, you'll do far better with an external flash. The puffer will soften your flash somewhat but it won't change the fact it's directly over your lens so you're still not going to be able to control the shadow it casts all that well. The results won't look very professional, just a little better than bad (which is what a bare pop-up flash is).

Do you have the budget for a good external flash like the SB800 or 580EXII?

I was just given an external flash from a friend, but haven't had the time to do much with it. I saw a photographer at an event the other day that had what I'm assuming is the Gary Fong Puffer you're talking about over her external flash. Would you recommend doing something like that? What have you found works best?

The Puffer is for built-in (pop up) flashes. The Lightsphere is Gary Fong's overpriced tupperware for external flashes. :roll: :lol:

What have you found works best?
When it comes to flash accessories, there really isn't a best. Some of them work well in some situations, but are completely useless in other situations.
Many photographers (myself included), tend to end up with a collection of different flash accessories.

The only thing that works in all situations is a good knowledge of how light works :er:
As InTempus mentioned, learn how to effectively bounce your light. That will make a bigger difference than just adding an accessory. (hint: most of these accessories are made to be used while you are bouncing the light).

One person whose opinions on this subject opf flash diffusers deserve special attention is Big Mike: he answers a lot of questions about flash diffusers, and he tries to drive home the point,over and over, that a diffuser only soften light when it is a large source, relative to the size of the subject,and distance from light-to-subject. If you wade through the threads, you'll find sample photos, and a lively discussion about flash diffusers.
Is that a complement or a warning? :lol:

What about using flash outdoors? Would any of these work well for those situations?

What about using flash outdoors? Would any of these work well for those situations?
Since most accessories are made to help you when bouncing the light (Omnibounce, Lightsphere, bounce card etc), the won't help you when used outdoor (unless you have a surface nearby that you can bounce the light off of.

In most cases, when you're outdoors, you will be shooting the flash directly at the subject. In this case, the only way to make the light softer (if that's your goal) is to enlarge the source (and move the light closer to the subject). This is where an umbrella or a softbox are helpful. Obviously, these typically aren't something that you use while the flash is sitting on the camera's hotshoe (although there are small softboxes for that).

Another issue is that if you are shooting outdoors is daylight, you may have to use a smaller aperture to control the exposure (especially if you are limited to the max flash sync speed). Smaller apertures require more flash power. So it's typical that when shooting outdoors in daylight, you need a powerful flash...especially if you are competing with direct sunlight. Most flash accessorizes will rob you of some light...and you may need all the power you can get.

Good info... I've been leary (read: scared to death) about diving into the world of flash but alas, it's a necessary evil me thinks. :D

The flash I have is a Canon Speedlite 420EZ but when I search for accessories it keeps asking me if I mean "Canon Speedlite 420EX". Does anyone know if the accessories for the 420EX will fit a 420EZ?

What camera do you have.
The EZ series is not fully compatible with newer cameras.

My advice is to learn how to use flash (without accessories). Once you have a good handle on what you can do with just the flash (bouncing etc)...and once you see a need for something else, then go out and get something.
This way, you are much less likely to be throwing your money away.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back