Flash for Mamiya m645

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by Commonman, Feb 3, 2007.

1. Commonman

Commonman TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I've got an old Mamiya m645. It has 2 terminals on the side. One is labeled X and the other is labeled FP. What do these designations mean?

Also, if I want to use a Vivitar Auto Thyristor 550 FD that has a hot shoe to PC converter (because there is no hot shoe on the Mamiya since it has a view finder that precludes the hot shoe), which terminal should I use?

Also, which f stop and shutter speed should I use. I noticed there is a 60x setting and just a red dot with a circle around it on the shutter speed controller. What shutter speed should I use? The Vivitar says to use f stop 4 but this still leaves the question of what speed setting. I know this has to do with the distance of the subject.

I guess I'm hoping somebody out there is familiar with the old Mamiya m645 and has used the flash terminals. I know, I know - why don't I find a user manual.

2. Azuth

Azuth TPF Noob!

From a very quick web search "The FP contact is closed via the opening curtain latch, which is tripped by a linkage on the mirror cage approximately 7- to 15-milliseconds before the curtain clears the opening side of the film plane. The X contact is closed via a cam and insulated stud on the bottom of the opening curtain drum. The contact is closed only as soon as the opening curtain complets its travel across the film plane. "

3. fmw

fmw No longer a newbie, moving up!

FP stands for focal plane and is the right synch for old fashioned flash bulbs. X is the right synch for electronic flash. The synch speed should be 1/60 or 1/30 depending on the model. If your 1/60 is detailed in red on shutter speed dial then that is maximum synch speed.

4. JIP

JIP No longer a newbie, moving up!

5. Commonman

Commonman TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thank you all very much. Yes the 60x is in red so that surely is the maximum shutter speed to use.:blushing:

Regarding using a bracket, yes that's what I want to get! It's too much of a hassel to hold the flash unit in one hand and the camera in the other - especially since this is a bulky and heavy camera. However, sometimes it might be good to hold the flash to get a different flash effect - but the flash has an directional position thing - different angles - for bounce back stuff - so the bracket is definitely:D a great idea.

6. JIP

JIP No longer a newbie, moving up!

This is my setup it is slightly unweildy but it has served me well for a good many years.

[​IMG]

7. Commonman

Commonman TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    JIP, looks like a cool set-up. I like the flash with the handle.

8. Mike_E

Mike_E No longer a newbie, moving up!

The Upper West Side of Mississippi (you have no i
    Photos OK to edit
    Definitely look into getting a Metz for that rig!

The 60 is a great flash for anything up to low flying aircraft. (I'm not kidding)

The 45 CL 4 is 3/4 as powerful and still has a guide number of 45 meters.