Flash for portraits....

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by misstwinklytoes, Jul 27, 2010.

1. misstwinklytoes

misstwinklytoes TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    What is the best flash to get for portraits? I know this is a broad question, but I'm really unsure how to narrow it down. Is there a broad use flash? Something I could use indoors or out?

I'm looking for the cheapest possible option because I'm just starting out. Is there a way to make my camera's flash not so harsh?

2. arios23

arios23 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    It all depends of what you are looking for, there is no an specific formula for photography, remember that photography is not rocket science it is art, the best way you can get what you want it is trial and error.

3. Rosshole

Rosshole TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    many people use a combo of a couple of manual speedlights and umbrellas to achieve decent portrait lighting...

The strobist blog has a lot of info for you on this subject too.

4. Geaux

Geaux No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I have a d3000, just did some portrait shoots and used the on camera flash as fill flash only, along with natural lighting and I think the on camera flash did its job well. If you want to see what I'm talking about, look at my profile and check my most recent threads, that should show you how the fill flash worked with on camera flash.

5. Bryce

Bryce TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I was investigating this question for myself for the past 2 weeks. I found this flash adapter called the Orbis and it atleast sounds cool. I am looking at getting one for myself. You should check it out and see what you think. Here is some information that I got on it please check it out and tell me what you think because I think this thing looks pretty cool.
    strobist modular ring flash; shadowless photo lighting for flash/strobes - the orbis? by enlight photo
    Here is the inventors youtube channel
    http://www.youtube.com/user/enlightphoto
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sl8xSxN3s7k[/ame]
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeUt9PF6jD0[/ame]

I would check out Amazon.com to see what deals they have on it. You normaly can get stuff cheap there. I don't have one but it is on my shopping list.

6. oldmacman

oldmacman TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    At the risk of being vilified, I like using my Gary Fong cloud indoors when I am not setting up a studio shot. I find the light is softer than a bounce flash and there's not as much gear to worry about as when working off camera. When you go outside, take the cloud off.

7. burnws6

burnws6 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Start here: Strobist: Lighting 101

Then after you're tired of that. Spend a couple thousand at white-lightning.com

Then, eventually, if you desire to keep on going. You'll sell your soul, limit contact with the real world. Buy broncolor strobes, and laugh at the advice they give on TPF.

8. Bryce

Bryce TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I know this is not towards your question but I thought you might like to watch this. I have been learning a bunch from this guy. He is my favorite tutorial teacher on you tube.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNA5-FMhBYo&videos=_8w9WymKxBE[/ame]

9. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    Softer flash light = off-camera speedlight flash + umbrella swivel mount + umbrella + light stand. Strobist blog has all the details. Photoflex makes some nice,affordable umbrellas. Umbrellas in the 32 to 42 inch size work quite well with speedlights. Getting the flash off-camera and synchronizing the flash with your shutter can be done a number of different ways, like infrared or radio frequency triggers, optical slave triggers and a flash ON the camera firing to trip the slave trigger, a remote off-camera connecting cord, or the old-fashioned, long, cheap PC cord.