flash graffiti

guitarmy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Trying out manual off-camera flash. Suggestions?

430045697_1b56995542_o.jpg

Feel like the color got washed out cuz of the flash..... I probably should have just left it without the flash and just used the long exposure. I was trying to learn how shutter speed and aperture affect fall-off and ambient light.

I can agree that the color looks a bit washed out fromt the flash, but I almost think it adds something to the picture. Either way, I agree with above, its a great picture!

I think the flash is too close to the foreground or up a bit too high. I'd be tempted to move it away or dial down the power.

Also, given that the rest of your pic is illuminated by what looks like tungsten lights, the section of pic where the flash has illuminated it looks a bit white. I'd gel the flash with a CTO gel to balance out the colour temperatures.

Thanks!

Yeah, the ambient lighting was (far-off) streetlamps, which I imagine are tungsten (or at least similar to tungsten in color temp - correct me if I'm wrong?). I didn't/fon't have gels yet though. But I'm going to rent a 70-200mm 2.4 today (!), so perhaps I'll pick some up!

I think my flash was at 1/8 power or so - if I dialed up it seemed pretty washed out. However, perhaps if I dialed up, moved the flash back, and cut the zoom on the flash down to 24mm or so it would have helped? I dunno.

Most reactions

Back