Flash grid diffuser

brightnight

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a 3D printer and wanted to make some grid pattern diffusers for my flashes to use with portrait shots. I noticed many of the flash diffusers have a honeycomb pattern. Is there any difference (pro/con) between using a grid diffuser that has a honeycomb pattern versus a circle pattern?

Is there anything else I should know about diffusers? I've seen a number of videos and read about them but never used one. I assume the more narrow the holes are in the diffuser are or the longer they are, the more limited the light will be. Thanks in advance!

Hi,
the honeycomb grid ist the best possible way to get the most lightoutput because it has very thin "walls".
The reason to use more narrow and/or longer holes is to direct the light beam even more and make it more narrow (less spill). You will lose light output too, but that is not the intention because you can do that easier by reducing tbe power of your flash or using gel filters.
So with your circle pattern you will lose some light, but if you have enough flash power, that is not an issue.

Do a search on "drinking straw grid", or drinking straw diffuser, and you will likely still find some on-line articles about making grids using straws.

A grid is not the same as a diffuser. I like to use metal honeycomb grids of 10,20,and 30 degree angles, and often use one,two,or three frosted mylar diffusers in conjunction with the honeycomb grids. So, grid + diffuser for me.

I have a 3D printer and wanted to make some grid pattern diffusers for my flashes to use with portrait shots. I noticed many of the flash diffusers have a honeycomb pattern. Is there any difference (pro/con) between using a grid diffuser that has a honeycomb pattern versus a circle pattern?

Is there anything else I should know about diffusers? I've seen a number of videos and read about them but never used one. I assume the more narrow the holes are in the diffuser are or the longer they are, the more limited the light will be. Thanks in advance!
Honeycomb is a natural cell, leaving no "spaces" between the cells. Using cylinders will give you extra spaces (or extra light blockage, depending on how you look at it).

The bees are onto something here, so why wouldn't you just use honeycomb?

A diffuser is different, in that you don't consider it as having "holes". An example of a diffuser is rip-stop nylon. No holes that you can notice. Another example is milk glass or plastic that mimics milk glass. No holes.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back