Flash help

Xander

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My gf and I are looking to get a flash for our D40. We are looking into the SB-600. We like this flash because we want the capability to bounce the flash off certain areas to prevent shadows. The pop up flash creates a lot of unwanted shadows. Would this be what we are looking for? Keep in mind that money is tight AND we are looking to upgrade to to the D90 in the distant future.

Thanks,
X

sb600 is a decent toy. Keep in mind it will create unwanted shadows IF you don't use it properly, just like any other flash. I'd recommend sb800, if you can find one. Sb900 has mixed reviews.
Checkout craigslist, ppl selling sb800 for about 300, while sb600 is about 250.
good luck.

You could also look into the SB-400, depending on what you need a flash for. For around the house shots it's perfect.

IMO, forget the SB-400. It is very limited. The SB-600 is a great little flash. The only thing that it lacks is the Dome diffuser. Check out David Honl's website for light modifiers, particularly the 8" snoot that doubles as a nice bounce. There are many other as well, like lumiquest, blah, blah, blah. Seriously, the 600 is a great flash and I still use mine quite often even though I have a few 800's.

Very limited is kind of job dependent statement, because it's also fully capable depending on your needs.

How much power do you need taking shots around the house. I have bounced mine off 11 foot ceilings many, many times and had excellent results. I've also used it for portrait work to remove shadows using bounce flash.

Sure it's not as powerful as the 600/800/900, but for around $100 it's one hell of a flash in my opinion.

Very limited is kind of job dependent statement, because it's also fully capable depending on your needs.

How much power do you need taking shots around the house. I have bounced mine off 11 foot ceilings many, many times and had excellent results. I've also used it for portrait work to remove shadows using bounce flash.

Sure it's not as powerful as the 600/800/900, but for around $100 it's one hell of a flash in my opinion.
It seems you have edited your initial response, but FOR ME, the biggest drawback the SB-400 has is the inability for a rotating head. You are limited by having the head to tilt only. This is very limiting IMO.

BTW, the SB-400 has the same GN numbers as the SB-600..... with a twist. The SB-400 has a GN of 98' at 18mm, whereas the SB-600 has a GN of 98' at 35mm. Also, the SB-600 can act as a slave wirelessly and I do not believe the SB-400 can (IR sensor). Again, very limiting IMO.

To be sure, the SB-400 is a much better option than the built-in flash, but it is shadowed by the SB-600. The SB-800 & 900 are even much better options.

I have the sb400 and I love it. It is small (easy to carry) but still can bounce and very quiet.

I have a D90 and went with the SB600 and Stofen Omni Bounce diffusuer and am quite pleased.

Amazon.com: Sto-Fen Omni-Bounce for the Nikon SB-400 Flash: Electronics

Check out Craigslist for the SB600 but I'd personally pull the trigger if you can find one in nice shape for ~$150. Most used in nice shape command $180, but I'd rather go new at that point ~ $218 delivered from Adorama, Amazon, etc. (and no tax)

If you find that you outgrow it in the future you could easily sell it for 75% of your investment if you take good care of it.

Good Luck and Enjoy

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Personally to avoid nasty shadows I think the best option is to remove the flash from the camera, either with a cable or a remote control of some kind.

A dedicated flash even still attached to the camera is a step in the right direction though.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back