Flash Help!

Stamp

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm pretty sure the next thing on my list is a great flash. So far, I have the Sony a230 w/ 18-55 kit lens, a 50mm 1.7 lens, a super cheap tripod, and a good bag. However, I'm doing a lot of indoor shooting during the Christmas season, and I'm thinking I could benefit most for a good flash I can bounce around. I've been on Adorama's website, and there are plenty of flashes, but most have no reviews, and some have 1 star reviews... I don't want to get stuck with a 1 star quality flash here, so I'm asking all of you, which flash would you recommend for under $100?

I'm pretty sure the next thing on my list is a great flash. So far, I have the Sony a230 w/ 18-55 kit lens, a 50mm 1.7 lens, a super cheap tripod, and a good bag. However, I'm doing a lot of indoor shooting during the Christmas season, and I'm thinking I could benefit most for a good flash I can bounce around. I've been on Adorama's website, and there are plenty of flashes, but most have no reviews, and some have 1 star reviews... I don't want to get stuck with a 1 star quality flash here, so I'm asking all of you, which flash would you recommend for under $100?

I don't think you could get a good flash for that, well not over here, a flash for ÂŁ50 i don't think so

Do you require TTL metering with the flash?

$100 is going to be very difficult... even for non-TTL flashes a good one s going to be right up against your budget.

$100 is going to be very difficult... even for non-TTL flashes a good one s going to be right up against your budget.
A good Sony TTL (automatic mode) flash will be 3x your budget (HVL-F42AM, $300).

Most other brands of speedlight won't be able to communicate with your camera, meaning you'll have to do the adjustments manually, but that allows you to spend much less money as a trade off to a learning curve.

Learning what the technical specifications for your photography equipment mean and how they relate to your needs, is a more reliable way of maximizing your equipment dollar than relying on reviews by unknown people and their star ratings.

I'm not sure if I need that, or how important it is, or even what it does. :( The only thing I know about flashes right now, is I have one that pops up and I lets me take pictures in the dark! :blushing:

A good Sony TTL (automatic mode) flash will be 3x your budget (HVL-F42AM, $300).

Most other brands of speedlight won't be able to communicate with your camera, meaning you'll have to do the adjustments manually, but that allows you to spend much less money as a trade off to a learning curve.

Learning what the technical specifications for your photography equipment mean and how they relate to your needs, is a more reliable way of maximizing your equipment dollar than relying on reviews by unknown people and their star ratings.

I guess I don't mind learning the harder way. How important is it to have the flash and camera communicate? If you're bouncing the flash, it won't calculate everything right anyway, correct?

Most reactions

Back