Flash Help!

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by Stamp, Dec 26, 2009.

1. Stamp

Stamp TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm pretty sure the next thing on my list is a great flash. So far, I have the Sony a230 w/ 18-55 kit lens, a 50mm 1.7 lens, a super cheap tripod, and a good bag. However, I'm doing a lot of indoor shooting during the Christmas season, and I'm thinking I could benefit most for a good flash I can bounce around. I've been on Adorama's website, and there are plenty of flashes, but most have no reviews, and some have 1 star reviews... I don't want to get stuck with a 1 star quality flash here, so I'm asking all of you, which flash would you recommend for under $100?

2. gsgary

gsgary Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    I don't think you could get a good flash for that, well not over here, a flash for £50 i don't think so

3. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Photos OK to edit
    Do you require TTL metering with the flash?

$100 is going to be very difficult... even for non-TTL flashes a good one s going to be right up against your budget.

4. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    A good Sony TTL (automatic mode) flash will be 3x your budget (HVL-F42AM, $300).

Most other brands of speedlight won't be able to communicate with your camera, meaning you'll have to do the adjustments manually, but that allows you to spend much less money as a trade off to a learning curve.

Learning what the technical specifications for your photography equipment mean and how they relate to your needs, is a more reliable way of maximizing your equipment dollar than relying on reviews by unknown people and their star ratings.

5. Mike_E

Mike_E No longer a newbie, moving up!

The Upper West Side of Mississippi (you have no i
    Photos OK to edit
    Go to e-bay and get a Metz 45 CL4, a stand and some cheap radio triggers. You might have to save up a bit more but it will be worth the wait.

6. Stamp

Stamp TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm not sure if I need that, or how important it is, or even what it does. :( The only thing I know about flashes right now, is I have one that pops up and I lets me take pictures in the dark! :blushing:

I guess I don't mind learning the harder way. How important is it to have the flash and camera communicate? If you're bouncing the flash, it won't calculate everything right anyway, correct?