Flash info

Nikon newbie

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi all! Question about flash, I've noticed photographers in very low light situations they've used their flash on a stand and placed it in a certain spot around the subject then took their photo and it went off! What would I need to do this?? I have a Nikon! No flash yet

Which Nikon do you have.

Hi all! Question about flash, I've noticed photographers in very low light situations they've used their flash on a stand and placed it in a certain spot around the subject then took their photo and it went off! What would I need to do this?? I have a Nikon! No flash yet
D3100, I know I need to upgrade and will do that's the other thing , buying equipment that may not go with a upgrade

You would need the flash, the stand and a method of triggering the flash. There are a number of options for triggering, however IMO, the best are radio triggers. These can range from $35/pair (you need one for the camera and one for the flash) to several hundred dollars depending on quality and feature-set.

What would I need to do this??
Might be several ways, depending on your budget and tolerance for matching everything up.

I use a Nikon Speedlight on a stand, and usually the flash is shining through a white umbrella (to diffuse the light). I trigger the flash using a pair of radio-frequency transceivers. One in the camera hotshoe and another one on the light stand with a small cable to the speedlight. When the camera's shutter goes, it trips the pair of transceivers making the remote flash fire.

It's fun and rewarding, although each piece adds to the cost.

Yup a radio trigger/receiver like a pair of YN-603s and a flash.

or you can even do this crazy thing like putting the flash directly on camera :p

D3100, I know I need to upgrade and will do that's the other thing , buying equipment that may not go with a upgrade
Why do you need to upgrade? The D3100 will fire a remote flash in at least three different ways that I know of.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back