flash kit Smith Victor KF2U

cameramike

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.mikedifilippo.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm looking for a basic flash kit to use for portraits. I have really no idea what is considered a good wattage or what umbrellas do what so i figured a kit would be a good starting point. Also, the one review said it did not come with a hot shoe adapter, is there a special one i would need to get for my canon 400D (rebel xti)

http://www.adorama.com/SVKF2U.html

I didn't see a power rating for those lights...which seems fishy. Also, judging by the price, I'd guess they are not very powerful.

I bought my lights from HERE and I recommend them.

If your camera doens't have a 'PC' port/connection...then you will need something to trigger the lights. You could buy a PC to Hot Shoe adaptor like THIS. However, for a reasonable price, you can pick up a cheap radio trigger like THIS and fire your lights wirelessly.

thanks big mike. i think i remember reading on another site that they were 45 watts each.

thanks big mike. i think i remember reading on another site that they were 45 watts each.
Flash or strobe lights are rated in a few different ways. Watt Seconds or Guide Number are two of the more common ways. There is also 'true' Ws and 'effective' Ws...I'm not entirely certain how to figure out the difference.

45 Watt Seconds (if that's what they are) is woefully underpowered.
The lights that I have, are: 320 true Ws, 800 effective Ws...and they are not even all that powerful compared to high end professional units.

alright thanks for the help. what ones do you have? I was hoping to spend under 200$ but that doesn't look practical. may hold out a little longer until i'm sure i'll be using them enough.

I have a couple of B800 lights and a less powerful B400.

As with a lot of things, it will really help if you evaluate what you want to do and your budget, on a long term basis.

If you want to have lights for taking portraits, especially full body portraits or groups, I'm fairly certain that you will find that cheap lights are under powered and limiting. If you are committed to getting the job done...you might then have to buy more expensive lights at that time. If not, you may abandon the idea and put the cheap lights in the closet with the other junk.

Obviously, it's smarter to buy better equipment from the start...but the reality is that cost is a factor and it may not be worth it for you to buy higher end gear. But if you are going to end up with it, in the long run...it's cheaper to buy it now, rather than buying junk first.

Now, if we take a step back...maybe we can reevaluate what you want/need. You can take great portraits with nothing more than a window and a reflector for lighting. You can use cheap 'hot shoe' type flashes for lighting. There are plenty of options.

thanks mike. I think a hot shoe flash may be the way to go for now, that way i can be more portable with where i do portraits. im nothing more than a 17 year old that has been interested in photography for a long time and decided recently to upgrade to a DSLR to get more of a feel so i can really learn to be creative. So maybe if you have any recommendations for a good flash under $150?

The Sunpak 383 is a fairly affordable flash that is pretty powerful. It can be used on the camera or off (if you have a way to trigger it).

You can trigger it, off camera, with something cheap and simple like THIS. It's not the most reliable trigger but it's cheap.

Take a bit of time and read this... http://strobist.blogspot.com/2006/03/lighting-101.html

Most reactions

Back