Flash me

JimmyO

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey guys!

Ive decided i need an external flash for my nikon d40x as the built in one is not efficient for the night shots of bmx biking that my friends and i do. MY one friend who also takes pictures (rebel XTi) has a speedlight that is very very nice that he bought used for a 200 bucks. This would be my logical choice but i dont have that much money and im currently saving up for a new lens(70-200mm) for shoting things like track meets and other stuff like that. So what i need to know is what would be the best flash to get for say under $100? OR would it be a better idea to wait until i have enough money to buy a better flash? Keep in mind im not into this to seriously i would probably not take advantage of more expensive flashes

Thanks a bunch guys!:D

You can buy a brand new sb-600 at a ritz camera for 229 so i'm sure you can get it used for like 180ish. If that is still to expensive you can buy a sb-400 which is about 129ish and seems like all you need if you are not too serious about it. You could just point the sb-400 straight up and put one of those custom bounce cards as a flash diffuser. Thats my 2 cents, many more opinions out there.

I myself bought the sb-600 but originally went out to buy the sb-400 but when i was at the store i decided to grab the sb-600 instead lol.

I've been riding for 7 years and I shoot a lot of BMX too. Heres my flash setup:

3x Pocket Wizard Plus II Transcievers
2x Nikon SB-28
2x Impact Umbrella Bracket
2x Impact 45" White Umbrella with Black Backing
2x Raven RS6 Lightstands

Its a bit pricey, but I recommend you get a couple Nikon SB-24/24/26/28s from KEH, a couple cheap lightstands, and some Gadget Infinity Cactus V2 triggers. If you get a single flash setup that would be like... $150-200, for two it would be about $300 or so. I'd definitely advise you to get wireless flash triggers rather than get the flashes with the infrared trigger built in, those things suck for riding shots. They almost have to be in the frame, cant be behind anything, and usually have to be aimed towards the camera. They are a waste of money in my opinion. Pocket Wizards, Gadget Infinity triggers, or Radio Poppers (whenever they come out) are the way to go.

I've been riding for 7 years and I shoot a lot of BMX too. Heres my flash setup:

3x Pocket Wizard Plus II Transcievers
2x Nikon SB-28
2x Impact Umbrella Bracket
2x Impact 45" White Umbrella with Black Backing
2x Raven RS6 Lightstands

Its a bit pricey, but I recommend you get a couple Nikon SB-24/24/26/28s from KEH, a couple cheap lightstands, and some Gadget Infinity Cactus V2 triggers. If you get a single flash setup that would be like... $150-200, for two it would be about $300 or so. I'd definitely advise you to get wireless flash triggers rather than get the flashes with the infrared trigger built in, those things suck for riding shots. They almost have to be in the frame, cant be behind anything, and usually have to be aimed towards the camera. They are a waste of money in my opinion. Pocket Wizards, Gadget Infinity triggers, or Radio Poppers (whenever they come out) are the way to go.

in english please...

haha

sorry, i really cant get a good idea what that all mean, but i think its to much for me. Just about all of my biking pics are from when im riding around with buds and see a nice loading dock so i whip out camera and snap a few shots and find the next place, so we never really session a hit where it would make sense to set up a lighting setup. Plus, its gotta fit in backpack.

Yeah, I get what you mean. All my stuff fits in a backpack, a rather large one though hahaha. You could get a used SB-28DX flash from KEH.com for like $150 or so, it was their pro model flash from the D1 era. I've got the regular SB-28 non DX's, because I only use them off camera so I don't need them to have automatic settings capable with digi bodies. It's just a flash too, many people will lead you to believe that you need a brand spankin' new SB-800, but seriously, used older flashes do just fine.

I think on all the SB24/25/26/28 non DX flashes, the TTL mode doesnt work for digital bodies. I've used my SB-28s on my camera's hotshoe before and it was fine, just no TTL metering, it was manual. Flash metering is really easy once you get used to it, I don't have a light meter or anything and I can look at a subject and guess the exposure, most of the time within a couple stops. I guess my point is you don't have to have all the Automatic modes. If you don't mind guessing and checking the exposure for the SB-24, that would be a perfect flash. If you do mind, SB-28dx or SB-600.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
SB-28DX. They don't have a picture of it up, but if you want to see it just search google.

SB-600.

Don't be afraid to buy used camera gear from KEH, I got an SB-28 from there which was rated at EX condition, and theres not a single scratch or speck of dust on the whole flash. Works like a charm too.

Stick with SB-28, SB-26, or SB-24. Size wise, the 26 and 24 are bigger then the SB-28...considerably. I shoot canon and I like the SB-28's very much for off camera lighting. You could get the wireless transmitter's off Ebay for about $20. You'll really enjoy off camera lighting.

Thanks guys!

Im guessing the sb-20 is even crapier?

And im starting to really like the idea of being able to put the flash over to the side by using one of those wireless things and maybe just on one of those little stands that are really cheap. And if i like doing that i might get a nice big adjustable tripod one.

just get a collapsible lightstand, like the raven RS6 or impact or bogen knock-off. and yeah, don't get the sb-20. I think since I've had an off camera flash setup I havent used a flash on camera other than to test to see if it works, on camera flash photos look disgusting compared to well executed off camera photos.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back