flash metering issues

Mitch1640

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
my dad just ordered me a phoenix smart flash, it seems pretty cheap but it works. it seems to meter well on auto and programmed auto with my D40 however when i put it into manual if i have use the meter it overexposes. is there a way to make the metering work properly with my camera in M or do i just need to use P and auto when im shooting with the flash?

When you put the flash into M...it fires at full power unless it has a manual power scale/setting. There is no metering whatsoever.

If you want to use the flash in manual, you should use the camera in manual as well. Set the shutter speed to the max sync speed or slower, then adjust the aperture of the lens until the flash exposure is where you want it.

thank you.

When you put the flash into M...it fires at full power unless it has a manual power scale/setting. There is no metering whatsoever.

If you want to use the flash in manual, you should use the camera in manual as well. Set the shutter speed to the max sync speed or slower, then adjust the aperture of the lens until the flash exposure is where you want it.

He said he put the camera in manual, not the flash.

thank you.

As above, you put the camera in manual but did you put the flash? What could be happening is that the camera's exposure meter measures ambient and does not adjust for the flash regardless of whether or not you're shooting with a phoenix or nikon flash.

Is the Phoenix flash you're shooting with a TTL flash and can you adjust the exposure compensation on it?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back