Flash Meters

deb

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am looking for a flash meter to use with studio lights. I'm getting a little confused about how they actually work. I have read that shutter speed is irrelevant, and that the meter will tell you which aperture to use. How can shutter speed be irrelevant?

I want to measure light from the strobe using an incident meter rather than reflected light meter.

What is the advantage of using a spot meter? Should I consider the Minolta VI all in one or some equivalent? Should I just use digital or polaroid to get a correct exposure, then use the settings on film?

What does everyone else do?

Shutterspeed is irrelevant because the flash burst is faster than your fastest shutterspeed. Thus the only part that matters when exposing for the flash is the apeture. Use the shutterspeed to expose the ambient light.

I have a Sekonic 508 which has served me well.

Flash meters work just like a regular meter, except that it has a way of taking the reading when the flash goes off. With mine I can either set it to wait for the next big increase in light, or attach it directly to the flash via flash cord.

I wouldn't say that shutter speed is completely irrelevant. Obviously you must remain at or below your camera's flash sync speed. Also, depending on your aperture, very slow shutter speeds can be used in combination with flash to get different effects utilizing the ambient light.

Most reactions

Back