flash on, photos not on memory card...

J.May

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Is there any reason why with the flash attachment on my camera, the photos are not on the memory card? Shooting with a Canon 6D and Canon speedlite 430EXII. I photographed an event and quickly realized when I uploaded the photos that those taken with the flash on are no where to be found!

Are there file names with a blank image for the images where flash was used? If so and your shutter speed was faster than 1/180, you may have exceeded the 6D's sync speed, and the flash may have fired while the shutter was closed resulting in a completely black frame.

^^^^^^^ What he said is VERY likely the cause of this distressing situation. Bummer deal...

Nope I don't see any blank files on the memory card, it's just as if the photos were never taken! Looks like I need a serious lesson in flash photography, I had no idea this could happen!

Is there any reason why with the flash attachment on my camera, the photos are not on the memory card? Shooting with a Canon 6D and Canon speedlite 430EXII. I photographed an event and quickly realized when I uploaded the photos that those taken with the flash on are no where to be found!
I take it that there were no files whatsoever from that time frame. Better do a function test on everything, starting with a different SD card. If the new card records, then try your flash mounted again to see if you can recreate the malfunction. Check all your settings to be sure the shutter speed is at or slower than the sync speed. Make sure the flash actually fires, and your camera is not set to "second curtain flash" or anything like that. If the problem shows up again, write down everything so you don't forget, and start talking to a camera repair shop.

Basic questions, but sometimes we overlook something.
1. Did you switch memory cards during your shoot. (If so check both)
2. Did the memory card fill up (Were the flash shots all at the end of the shoot?)
3. Were the shots with Flash all at the start or all at the end? (If at the end, perhaps card stopped working)
4. The 6D has dual card slots. Were you perhaps writing to the other one? (If first one ran out for instance, based on auto switch settings.)
5. Did you perhaps trip the setting and were writing the Flash ones in RAW (And viewing in a folder which does not recognize those files and not showing them as icons in your list?)

Hope you find your problem.

I would think with a Canon flash on the camera, it wouldn't let him set a non-sync shutter speed.... I can't think of a reason the flash would fail to make files, though. I'm assuming the shutter actually fired, right? You heard the noise, and not just saw the light?

I would think with a Canon flash on the camera, it wouldn't let him set a non-sync shutter speed.... I can't think of a reason the flash would fail to make files, though. I'm assuming the shutter actually fired, right? You heard the noise, and not just saw the light?

My first thought was sync as well, but the OP states the files don't exist on his card. If it was a sync issue, the files would be there, but the images would be black.

To the OP... will your computer read that there is data on the card? It could be a card failure, but it would be curious that it is ONLY the photos taken with flash, and no others. I think Designer is on to something with the functions check. I would go so far as to factory reset the camera settings, just in case something inadvertently was changed. With the bajillions of settings on today's DSLRs, it's not difficult to accidentally change something, at which point it could be like pulling teeth to locate.

Ugh... I think I need to take my equipment to McBain camera or something and see what the pros think. It's a brand new 6D, brand new flash. I'm new to using a flash so before this even I did play around with it and had no issues. My amateur mistake I guess. I had no idea you needed to sync settings on your flash and camera... I'm feeling so lost about it all.

I had no idea you needed to sync settings on your flash and camera...
Actually, it is all supposed to be automatic. As soon as the flash is in the hotshoe, and turned on, the camera should automatically set the shutter speed to the sync speed. You can override this by going to manual mode, but you should not go faster than the sync speed.

Before you spend time and money, do a reset to factory settings on the camera and try it again.

On my flash, I have to turn the flash on BEFORE the camera, so is it that way with Canon as well?

Check the settings on the flash itself. It should be in a "regular" mode, such as; TTL or Manual, for instance. If the flash is in some weird mode, such as rapid continuous, or something like that, then set the flash to something simple, such as TTL.

Then take it in.

Most reactions

Back