Flash or 50mm F1.7?

croomaniac

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
hi guys,

I'm owning a sony a200 with 1870 kitlens.. i wanted so much to take wedding pictures, what do you guys think? I should go for Flash or Prime first? The price would be just the same here (but i can't afford both at the same time).. Thanks!

hi guys,

I'm owning a sony a200 with 1870 kitlens.. i wanted so much to take wedding pictures, what do you guys think? I should go for Flash or Prime first? The price would be just the same here (but i can't afford both at the same time).. Thanks!
Since you have a lens to use for the time being, opt for the flash.

@Early: yupp rite, thanks! Sony's kitlens is good enough though (but not indoor) ;)

Be careful. Most dont like flashes going off at weddings. I would say go for prime.

Be careful. Most dont like flashes going off at weddings. I would say go for prime.

that's another problem.. I kinda like the looks of natural lights.. but really hate it when it comes to blurry images of moving subject (SSS won't help this) :p guessed i'll have to flip a coin on this! :mrgreen:

If you can get a flash make sure you can twist and angle the head so you can bounce it off walls for much more desirable results.

Fast glass over flash. But thats just my opinion, also consider the nice bokeh and shallow DOF that you can get using a f/1.7, I think when you consider that combination I would go for the lens first.

I think you should get the prime first also, blasting a powerful flash at everyone gets annoying, and I personally try to avoid using flash as often as possible when I'm around a group of people.

If you do get a flash and you bounce it off the walls, try to avoid bouncing off of colored walls. That could give you an oddly colored tint.

thanks guys for feedback, as if i'm going to buy the prime, i'll go for 2nd hand minolta 50mm f1.4, and if i go for the flash, i'll go for vivitar (WL only slave) as the price for both is about the same at my place here.. i do think that i'll go for the prime first, then later i'll buy a sony flash (double the cost of the vivitar flash)

from some other reason, i like to take pictures on burst mode, for this, fast lens is very crucial :D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back