Flash or Lens?

Eyetattoo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Right now I cant get both so Im going to have to choose between getting a speedlight or a new lens (somthing like a 55-200mm or 70-300mm) Which would you go with?

I shoot all types of photos, from family snapshots to low light parties to sporting events to landscapes in Yosemite when I have time to make the drive.

If you think you really need the lens then go with that. Otherwise get the flash! :)

I find that lenses get used a lot more often than flashes. A flash is a nice thing to have, but you already have an onboard flash, so the only time it would make that monumental of a difference would be when bouncing indoors. I absolutely love the look of bounce flash, but you'll get more use out of a lens IMO. You should post a price range so we can give you some advice on what to get. The 55-200 is not a horrible lens in my opinion, but everything I've heard about the 70-300 is that its rubbish.

I find that lenses get used a lot more often than flashes. A flash is a nice thing to have, but you already have an onboard flash, so the only time it would make that monumental of a difference would be when bouncing indoors. I absolutely love the look of bounce flash, but you'll get more use out of a lens IMO. You should post a price range so we can give you some advice on what to get. The 55-200 is not a horrible lens in my opinion, but everything I've heard about the 70-300 is that its rubbish.
Ive read the same recently, so if I go with a lens it will probably be the Nikor 55-200mm AFS VR. Havent really priced them out yet but Im sure it will cost more than the flash.

nah, the 55-200 AFS VR shouldn't cost more than $200, you can probably get it for $150 new. I got my as a bundle for $100 extra.

...but you already have an onboard flash, so the only time it would make that monumental of a difference would be when bouncing indoors. I absolutely love the look of bounce flash, but you'll get more use out of a lens IMO.

The onboard flash is trash. A hot-shoe flash is better even if you are pinging your subject straight on over the popup. The only time I use my popup is as a commander for my other flashes, which even most times for that I will use my SU800 commander instead.

You also don't have to bounce it, you can remove it and use your camera as a commander to get directional light. (I assume, not sure what the D3000 does.)

I rarely ever use a camera without using a strobe of some type or other.

Flickr: Strobist.com

All strobed shots ^^

None with the onboard as a primary light source. Most without having a strobe on the camera itself.

I ordered an SB-400 earlier this week on N0YZE's recommendation. I don't really do any strobist type stuff [yet?] so I really just wanted the bounce capability for indoor stuff.

I have a 55-200VR and love it. Of course the next day I gave in and ordered a 50mm f/1.8 too :)

I bought my sb-600 and my 50mm 1.8 around the same time. I don't use my flash all that much but I have to say it's night and day between the on board flash, and the bounce ability makes all the difference in the world. I do want a new lens but I am trying for something like a 70-300 for a little more reach.

Most reactions

Back