Flash or no flash?

RiderOnTheStorm

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Well I've found myself lately not using my flash at all. For everything... I've been relying on aperture, different ISOS and miscellaneous lighting equipment when needed.

I mostly shoot landscapes and black & white portraits... is this an unprofessional habit? how often do you guys use your flash?

I feel that I have more control without a flash, maybe it's because I haven't mastered it yet but when shooting shiny objects it looks horrible, and peoples faces tend to look harsh.

Is it just me? I'm asking because I have noticed that most photographers never leave home without a flash.

My 430ex should be here anytime today, but up until this point I never use the on-camera flash.

i am not a guy, but i never use flash. The flash units on the cameras themselves are quite harsh unless you difuse them in some manner.

Off camera flash can be very useful if you take the type of images that need additional light; either as a fill light or what ever.

the light fall off from your on camera flash is not going to be very helpful with landscapes and you have already noticed the harshness that is occuring with other subject matter .

Professionals use whatever tool they need too; depending on the lighting conditions and how they need or want the image to appear.

Perhaps, if you really feel the need to use flash, take a workshop or class with using off camera flash units.

Well I've found myself lately not using my flash at all. For everything... I've been relying on aperture, different ISOS.....quote]

Same here, for the most part... I LOVE using natural colors; the pictures seem so much more real.

However, I have recently begun playing with the weird angles my flash (430ex) will go---and bouncing it off of different objects (walls, etc) to get the light like I want it. For example, I was shooting in a house that had tan walls a few months ago. So, I pointed the flash backwards, so the back tan wall lit up, and the person I shot at had a warm skin tone---not near as harsh as direct flash.

I have also started trying to use my flash to gain better contrast for B&W photos. Last night I took a picture of my brother in a brick alley with his Camaro. W/O the flash, the photo's contrast was terrible. The flash helped with this bigtime.

There's a couple random thoughts for you :)

I've never used the built in flash. In most instances I try and not use a dedicated flash either unless it is studio type portrait in which case I will use either my alien bee with or with out the addition of my sigma dg super flash with it. Wedding ceremonies call for no flash so of course I can't use it there either.

Well I've found myself lately not using my flash at all. For everything... I've been relying on aperture, different ISOS and miscellaneous lighting equipment when needed.

I mostly shoot landscapes and black & white portraits... is this an unprofessional habit? how often do you guys use your flash?

I feel that I have more control without a flash, maybe it's because I haven't mastered it yet but when shooting shiny objects it looks horrible, and peoples faces tend to look harsh.

Is it just me? I'm asking because I have noticed that most photographers never leave home without a flash.
I see no problem with using your flash as long as you use it properly. I know everyone here knows about this but I have recently been going through some of the Strobist http://strobist.blogspot.com/ tutorials and I have to say I wish I would have had this resource 7 years ago when I started to shoot weddings these are excellent lessons in how to use your flash to make really excellent lighting.

i am not a guy, quote]

I think if you look up guy in the dictionary now they have revised to a general group of people. :sexywink: I just got a SB800, so we'll see....

i see, too bad.

I'm a newbie, and I usually use film, etc., but I hardly ever use flash at all. It makes my pictures icky. When the light is that I can't stabilize my camera by hand I use a tripod or prop my camera up against something stable. Little opinion, but I have one.

If you know how to properly use a flash it will be indispensable. I use it a lot. Even in bright daylight. Sometimes I use it to create a sun when the sun itself isn't showing. What you need to understand is a flash is an incredibly strong light which you have control over. Exact control, light, strength, subject to flash distance, apparent size, and if you do not actually manipulate it but instead just mount it on the camera and press a button you will end up with very average results.

Read the Lighting 101 tutorial in the strobist link above.

I'm a newbie, and I usually use film, etc., but I hardly ever use flash at all. It makes my pictures icky. When the light is that I can't stabilize my camera by hand I use a tripod or prop my camera up against something stable. Little opinion, but I have one.
I don't know if you look at the pictures on this page http://www.flickr.com/photos/31454864@N00/favorites/ all allegedly done with just a flash or multiple flash units by people using "Strobist's techniques" I dont think any of them are "icky"

Most reactions

Back