Flash or no?

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by gender bombs, Nov 17, 2005.

1. gender bombs

gender bombs TPF Noob!

Okay. Im trying to decide. This weekend, my friends band and some other bands are playing a show in a basement. The lighting is going to be dim and maybe some colored lights. Should I use my flash for every picture, let my camera set the aperture and shutter speed on its own, or just set everything myself. What would you suggest? Sorry if this is a dumb question, Id appreciate replys. Thank you.

2. danalec99

danalec99 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    nope.

usually the best way.

depends on the 'look' you are after.

what camera do you have? without flash you will have to up the ISO in a dim environment to get a blur free image, coupled with a fast lens (f2.8 or smaller number)

3. Willc73

Willc73 TPF Noob!

If it is dim, you will probably need to. Try using combination of environmental light and your flash.

4. gender bombs

gender bombs TPF Noob!

I have a fast lens, and my camera is a Minolta x-700. The look I was going for is jsut a nice, clear not too dark not too light picture.

5. hammy

hammy TPF Noob!

Depends really what you're going for.
    When I photograph bands indoors I use flash. You can also try techniques for getting color streaks and shots with movement, set a slow shutter speed, (1/30, 1/15, 1/8), and fire your flash off camera at the same time as the shutter. Can bring some interesting shots.
    If you want some crisp looking shots, look up what your flash sync. on your camera is, and set it there. Usually it's 1/60. Mess around with some settings, let the camera do it, then set it yourself, do whatever. Just know your camera, and know it well. And the most important thing is get close. I repeat, get close as possible. Shots from far away are usually utterly boring.

6. ajmall

ajmall TPF Noob!

yeah i'll second that last comment made by hammy. try and catch emotional expressions when the singer is singing

7. gender bombs

gender bombs TPF Noob!

Ive done bands before, I was jsut double checking. Thanks for all of your help everyone.

8. westman

westman TPF Noob!

brring your flash !
    at least can be a fill , also u can play some cool effect with your flash (e.g. slow shutter speed with flash)

9. gender bombs

gender bombs TPF Noob!

Okay...my flash says "Winder Sync" and then it has the choice Lo or Hi. Which should I choose?