Flash photography

gabrielh

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello,
I'm absolutely new to flash photography; actually, I prefer tu put the internal flash always off so there won't be any harsh light. Is there a way of using the internal without getting harsh lights or do one needs a external flash. Is an external a must-have for every photographer? If so, is there any (really) big differences between the SB900, SB800 and SB600 of Nikon? For an overal flash, which one would you recommend?
A lot of question, hope to get advice from here!
Thanks!
G.

i havent yet had the cash to lay down on a nice flash unit yet, so in the interim, i typically run the popup flash thru paper.
experiment with different thicknesses of paper, or even different materials. play with color too...i did some pics of my wife with the flash shot thru red tissue paper...

until you decide to get a flash...play play play! try new stuff and have fun!
(and of course, post results) :D

Thanks for the advice! I will sure try!! :D

Anyone one else any advice? I appreciate any comments :)!

well i post some of your work i just wanna see it. i was never fan of flashes maybe this could be change my view.

My advise is the biggest you can afford. More power the better. Forget the ettl stuff get a cheep but powerful one . Like the vivitar 285 hv. As said above diffuse it to make it soft. Get it off the camera altogether with a sync cord or radio trigger as soon as you feel ready.

Thanks for your answer! But I am still nod understanding, what is the "ettl stuff" DeadEye is talking about to forgert? Are that the SB-flashes of Nikon? Or something else?
Thanks!!

Ok, thanks! I will look at that!

FYI, strobist.com is all about taking the light off the camera, not just keeping it on the hotshoe. So if you are just looking into getting a flash to put on the camera and walk around, this site is not going to be exactly what you are looking for.

Check out strobist.com and start with the lighting 101 section. You will find all the answers you are looking for. :D

This is an excellent link. There's info that pertains to all types of photography.

FYI, strobist.com is all about taking the light off the camera, not just keeping it on the hotshoe. So if you are just looking into getting a flash to put on the camera and walk around, this site is not going to be exactly what you are looking for.

But it also has other information that pertains to flash photography and the technical why's and hows. Plus you can use the same flash you use on your camera for off camera work. And even then, on camera flash still tends to be dry if you rely soley on it. Plus there's been times that I've been walking around that I've pulled out my radio triggers and used my flash off camera for a picture.

The below photo was done with one flash off camera. A flash, stand, umbrella, adapter, and triggers can be bought for about $120.

For the differences between the 400/600/800/900 nikon flash units check out Ken Rockwells site. He is very upfront about items and tells it how it is. This man has a very strong following and has a gret review onthe matter.

Check him out @ http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/flash.htm

Thanks all for your answers! I actually want, someday, a flash which could help me with low-light situations and more in more creative works. At this point, I like to think about ambiant light, without adding extra of mine—as the internal flash is really harsh—but one day I will want to thinking about extra light :). Thanks for all your answers!

You can pick up the sb 600 and trigger for around 200 dollars. Play with it. It will open up all kind of possibilities for you.

Most reactions

Back