Flash Photography

Has anyone ever mixed and matched flashes when it comes to shooting off camera?if so how was it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So-so. The problem with mix and match is color temp. For me, and this is just my method, when I use multiple OCF's I use two per unit. I have two 580's and four Sunpack 383's. I will put a 580 & a 383 using one brolly or soft box so the output is intermingled. That is my method to not have color temp issues if I'm not using studio heads.

So-so. The problem with mix and match is color temp. For me, and this is just my method, when I use multiple OCF's I use two per unit. I have two 580's and four Sunpack 383's. I will put a 580 & a 383 using one brolly or soft box so the output is intermingled. That is my method to not have color temp issues if I'm not using studio heads.

Aight,thanks. Appreciate it

Has anyone ever mixed and matched flashes when it comes to shooting off camera?if so how was it?
Yes, I have. Mixed a cheap studio strobe and a Nikon speedlight. Balancing the power was one thing, not really difficult, but unfortunately, the two lights emit different colors of light. They both looked light bright white light, but in looking at the photographs on my computer, I could see that the two sides of the photo had different colors of light. Not good. My take-away is that you should probably try to use the same kind of flashes in all parts of the photograph.

Yes, I have. Mixed a cheap studio strobe and a Nikon speedlight. Balancing the power was one thing, not really difficult, but unfortunately, the two lights emit different colors of light. They both looked light bright white light, but in looking at the photographs on my computer, I could see that the two sides of the photo had different colors of light. Not good. My take-away is that you should probably try to use the same kind of flashes in all parts of the photograph.
I kinda figured was just making sure by asking experts.I'm guessing is the same thing with hotshoe flashes (nikon,Yong nuo,)?

I'm guessing is the same thing with hotshoe flashes (nikon,Yong nuo,)?
Probably. I don't have any experience with doing that, but I have read that somewhere.

Figure out your budget, and if you need three speedlights, but can only afford the Yonguno brand, then get them all the same.

I might just stick with the flashpoint ones since I already have one and its got a li-on battery. Only thing I'm wondering is whether to get the manual ones now since the one i have is has ttl. But im still wondering bout if I will need hss cuz I dont think mine does has without the adapter thingy

That would probably be the best thing at this point. You shouldn't have color temp issues if you are using all the same system.

I guess hss is what i need to figure out if I need

Wheb there is more than 1 flash used in photography are all of the flashes usually fired at the same power settings or are they set individually? Or does it depend on the situation? I'm sorry if I'm being a pest. Just trying to learn

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back