Flash photos

Status
Not open for further replies.

sactown024

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am getting ready to have my first baby and want to shoot newborn photos. I noticed the best photos are done with some source of light indoors.

My question is what would be the best starting point for newborn photos, speedlite? Continuous light? Both?

Just need a starting point, I'm sure all are good to have but what will get me the best results on the lowest budget?

Last edited by a moderator:
you cannot post others photos here. You can post a link to them.

I shoot newborns with 2 speedlites, 1 large softbox and one small, narrow softbox on location.
In my own space I shoot with 2 strobes, 1 large softbox and 1 strip box.

Low budget you are looking at about $200. Might be able to get super cheap crap stuff from ebay for about $150

Beauty dish.

Not continuous light.

They get really hot.

Use a speed light, or strobe with whatever modifier meets your needs.

And like Mleek said, you can't post picures here that aren't yours. You might want to tend to that before someone does it for you.

I shoot newborns with 2 speedlites, 1 large softbox and one small, narrow softbox on location.

Low budget you are looking at about $200. Might be able to get super cheap crap stuff from ebay for about $150

$200 is fine but a speedlite alone is $250 plus softboxes etc....

how do you set up multiple speedlites?

Low budget.. you can go with 3rd party flashes. Full manual mode is the most accurate in flash use.. you just have to learn to use it that way. It is really easy.

Good
Amazon.com: Yongnuo YN-560 Speedlight Flash for Canon and Nikon: Camera & Photo

Better
Amazon.com: Yongnuo YN-560 II Speedlight Flash for Canon and Nikon. GN58.: Camera & Photo

There are lots of others.. but these do work well and are inexpensive. The Yongnuo's have optical slave triggers so will go off when they see another flash go off. I would start with one... and get another after master that one.

Light modifiers.. you can get a cheap set to play with and upgrade later if you want... umbrellas do work well, and are the cheapest.

These are good!
Amazon.com: Westcott 2332 43-Inch Collapsible Umbrella Flash Kit: Camera & Photo

These are Junk, but would work....
Amazon.com: CowboyStudio Single Flash Shoe Swivel Bracket Kit with 1 Mounting Bracket, 1 Umbrella, and 1 Stand Stand: Camera & Photo

I would stay away from constant light kits.. they are cheap, usually junk, and they do not provide enough light for people photography (require long exposures).... unless you spend major bucks!

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

$200 is fine but a speedlite alone is $250 plus softboxes etc....

how do you set up multiple speedlites?

You can get an awesome education here: Strobist
On the right hand side start with the drop down for Strobist 101 Archive and go from there.

Low budget.. you can go with 3rd party flashes. Full manual mode is the most accurate in flash use.. you just have to learn to use it that way. It is really easy.

Good
Amazon.com: Yongnuo YN-560 Speedlight Flash for Canon and Nikon: Camera & Photo

Better
Amazon.com: Yongnuo YN-560 II Speedlight Flash for Canon and Nikon. GN58.: Camera & Photo

There are lots of others.. but these do work well and are inexpensive. The Yongnuo's have optical slave triggers so will go off when they see another flash go off. I would start with one... and get another after master that one.

Light modifiers.. you can get a cheap set to play with and upgrade later if you want... umbrellas do work well, and are the cheapest.

These are good!
Amazon.com: Westcott 2332 43-Inch Collapsible Umbrella Flash Kit: Camera & Photo

These are Junk, but would work....
Amazon.com: CowboyStudio Single Flash Shoe Swivel Bracket Kit with 1 Mounting Bracket, 1 Umbrella, and 1 Stand Stand: Camera & Photo

I would stay away from constant light kits.. they are cheap, usually junk, and they do not provide enough light for people photography (require long exposures).... unless you spend major bucks!

will these still work off camera with a wireless trigger like this Amazon.com: Yongnuo 2.4GHz Wireless Flash Trigger/Receiver and Shutter Remote for Canon 1D/5D/7D/10D/20D/30D/40D/50D DSLR: Camera & Photo

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Yes.

StudioLighting.net may be of use to you as well.

I'd order at least one speedlite and trigger to start with now. You can use a reflector as well, but you are going to want 2 if at all possible. I know your wife has to be due soon, so if you can only order one and one modifier it's doable, just not ideal. Don't forget the stand and modifier.

This is just my opinion, so take it FWIW-and we all know how much you value my opinion... The speedlite option will be more flexible and useful to you down the line. Buying a cheap-o set up of lights off ebay may or may not be useful for you AND you can get just as much light from a speedlite as any of those cheap-o setups and it will be easier to do more with.

do you have a window? That is what I would use ;) You don't NEED all that stuff to take a decent pic. Especially since it is your baby and you will have all the time in the world to wait around for perfect light! Rather than spending $$$ on lighting I would invest in a nice lens with ability to use a wide aperture.

These aren't the best examples in the world but I have only done one newborn shoot at it was months ago. Taken using window light:
IMG_0764.jpg

IMG_0792.jpg

This one was shot with one 150WS Strobe and one speedlite
$6687985243_71088f87cf_z.jpg

I believe this one is windows. I was also at ISO 2000 on it. It was in front of a window that the Arizona sun was really beating into with a white sheer curtain to soften a bit.
$6650807525_3efd5b78fa_z.jpg

Yes.

StudioLighting.net may be of use to you as well.

I'd order at least one speedlite and trigger to start with now. You can use a reflector as well, but you are going to want 2 if at all possible. I know your wife has to be due soon, so if you can only order one and one modifier it's doable, just not ideal. Don't forget the stand and modifier.

This is just my opinion, so take it FWIW-and we all know how much you value my opinion... The speedlite option will be more flexible and useful to you down the line. Buying a cheap-o set up of lights off ebay may or may not be useful for you AND you can get just as much light from a speedlite as any of those cheap-o setups and it will be easier to do more with.

that first pic you posted is amazing.....

when you say "You can use a reflector as well, but you are going to want 2 if at all possible." do you mean 2 flash or 2 reflectors?

how do you feel about the third party speedlite listed above? should i just spring for a 430ex instead? big difference? I don't know if this is relevant but I will be shooting the photos with a 50mm 1.8 or my 50-200mm f/4.

so starters grocery list:
speedlite
modifier (reflector or softbox)
modifier stand
speedlite stand

Sorry... working too fast again. 2 flashes.
Your modifier is not a REFLECTOR or softbox, that would be an umbrella (probably shoot through) or a softbox. A reflector is for pushing some light back opposite your light source.
You'll want one of those as well. It doesn't have to be anything labled PHOTOGRAPHY. It can be something as simple as a piece of white foam core board or even one of those things kids use for science fair projects.

It's not a modifier stand but a light stand with a bracket to mount your speedlite on.

Are you thinking you are going to order these items from Adorama or B&H? Or somewhere we can give you a grocery list from?

When is the baby due?

And have you purchased the required teddy bear and stuff already? If you have something of the sort they make an awesome model for you to practice on and for us to help get you a little more education before baby comes.

I am going to order them from basically wherever someone tells me is the best place to, B&H or Adorama would be fine since my local shop kinda sucks. Speaking of which... I just went down there and they had a Nissin speedlite and they told my Nissin makes canon and Nissin brand is much better.... do you know anything about this?

the baby is due thursday haha C-section due to breached position.

I have bought photo outfits like the cute hats nd diaper covers etc, and some cheesecloth wraps, no teddy bears : / I plan to get some baskets/crates and faux fur this weekend and some sort of floordrop weather it is a fluffy blanket or an actual floordrop.

so 2 flash is out of the question right now since I am buying a 50mm also.

so it sounds like i would need a setup like this:

speedlite
wireless trigger
reflector (stand for reflector?)
softbox or umbrella to shoot through
stand for my speedlite and softbox (does one stand do both?)

list is probably wrong again haha... let me know if i got it right

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back