Flash Problems

Derek_Caven99

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey all.

I bought a flash for my D70 and i cant get it to fire at different power outputs. Like 1/2 power or 1/64

The flash is one of the cheap Pheonix ones and its a TTL film flash.

The only buttons on the flash are test flash and on/off switch.

I guess what im saying is, Is this possible to manually override the ttl and use it manual.

I tried this in the D70's menu and so far nothing...

I don't think that you will be able to control the power of the flash with the camera...but I don't know.

You say that it's a 'TTL film' flash? What do you mean by that. Film or digital, either the camera works with the flash for TTL metering or it doesn't. A flash can be 'dedicated' for a certain brand/type of camera...so it this flash dedicated for Nikon TTL metering?

Does the flash actually change it's output, depending on the aperture that the camera is set to? If so, then it's probably using TTL meting.
From the sounds of it, the flash doesn't have manual control, so you won't be able to set the power levels 'Like 1/2 power or 1/64'. Even with new flashes & cameras, you don't set that on the camera but on the flash.

It may be possible that the flash fires at full power all the time...and it's up to you to determine the exposure by selecting an aperture to use, based on the GN (Guide Number) of the flash.

hmm, it doesnt seem to work when i set the camera to TTL dedicated. And it says right on it that its a Nikon TTL dedicated flash.

Just wondering if there was anyway to change the flash output. I think your right, that it isnt possible to change the output. Oh well, ill have to do lots of bouncing, maybe buy a difuser too. It was stilll worth my 30 bucks ahaha

It probably will not work, New Nikons are iTTL, you might want to use a safe sync as well. Older flashed can discharge high voltage back into the camera.

Most reactions

Back