Flash Question

eccs19

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just got hold of a older Vivitar 16A flash. I say older, because most of the 16A's I see on the internet look slightly different than the one I've got. It has the hotshoe mount, and also has the remote cable. It was originally used on an old Minolta camera. Does anyone know if this flash would work with my newer Pentax *ist D? I've heard there can be voltage issues with older flashes, so I don't want to just put it on and try it.

Here is the flash in question.

IMGP0261.jpg

As a follow up, I measured the voltage, and it's just a tad under 240 volts. No good for my camera. :grumpy:

Wait, don't toss it yet. Is this flash manually adjustable? If it is, a $35 investment in Cactus trigger/receiver is all you need. Besides, off camera flash rules... on camera, it drools.

Does anyone know if this flash would work with my newer Pentax *ist D?

Beyond possible voltage issues, it depends on your definition of "work". This flash is ancient auto-flash technology. It's auto modes not very accurate, and were designed to rely on the huge exposure latitude of neg film. You could set it to full power, and adjust your aperture to control flash exposure, but compared to almost any modern flash this is a severly limited device.

Wait, don't toss it yet. Is this flash manually adjustable? If it is, a $35 investment in Cactus trigger/receiver is all you need. Besides, off camera flash rules... on camera, it drools.

Can you do this? The website that sells Cactus V2:
http://www.gadgetinfinity.com/product.php?productid=16767&cat=274&page=1

states:
CAUTION: Beware not to work with high voltage flashes or studio strobes with a triggering voltage of 12V or higher.

I found an old Vivitar 2500 Thyristor in my house and if it works with my cactus then I'll use it. The dealer looks like they say it doesn't work though.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Well my $8 Seagull flash remote trigger showed up, and it actually works. Now I just have to figure out proper position of it, and if best to shoot directly, or bounce of off something. I did a quick test, just for fun. Bounced off the ceiling.

IMGP0327.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back