Flash Question

Willwors

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi there - first post, apologies in advance if this is a stupid question. I want to buy a flash gun for my Nikon D3000 as I am not overly happy with the results of firing the built-in flash directly at my subjects - I would prefer to use something that I can angle so that I can bounce light off various objects. I have been looking at some of the Nissin units as they seem reasonably cheap and I am a poor student.

I don't think my camera is enabled with any kind of wireless flash. 90% of the time I will mount the flash gun to the camera, but IF I wanted to use it externally - could I use a cable? Or has that technology been completely phased out?!

Many thanks

Will

Flash gun?

I take it you mean you want a flash. Remember you get what you pay for. Get an SB-600 or an SB-900 if you can afford that one. I don't know if the D3000 has commander mode for the built in flash, but if it does, you should be able to use the flash unit off camera with no cords or anything. I know I can with my D90.

I think you have to have an SB-600 (or equivalent) or higher on the camera to use as a commander and you can't do it off the built-in flash. I can't really afford two!

Could I, therefore, use a cord if I wanted to place the flash elsewhere? I would like to buy a flash that responds wirelessly anyway, in case I do eventually replace the body for something with a commander mode included.

Are the Nikon units the best bet? You wouldn't recommend any slightly cheaper equivalents?

No I would not recommend any cheaper equivalents. You won't save more than $100 and it's not significant enough to justify the inferior quality if you ask me.

You could always use pocket wizards.

Flash gun?

I take it you mean you want a flash. Remember you get what you pay for. Get an SB-600 or an SB-900 if you can afford that one. I don't know if the D3000 has commander mode for the built in flash, but if it does, you should be able to use the flash unit off camera with no cords or anything. I know I can with my D90.

Flash gun is the english term for it :)

Yes, that would be the source of the confusion!

Hi there - first post, apologies in advance if this is a stupid question. I want to buy a flash gun for my Nikon D3000 as I am not overly happy with the results of firing the built-in flash directly at my subjects - I would prefer to use something that I can angle so that I can bounce light off various objects. I have been looking at some of the Nissin units as they seem reasonably cheap and I am a poor student.

I don't think my camera is enabled with any kind of wireless flash. 90% of the time I will mount the flash gun to the camera, but IF I wanted to use it externally - could I use a cable? Or has that technology been completely phased out?!

Many thanks

Will
This eBay radio trigger set PT-04 CN II Radio Wireless Remote Flash Trigger Set—1Rx - eBay (item 280400426734 end time Feb-18-10 19:15:16 PST) is $20 including shipping. Or better yet a 2 receiver kit, like this (speedlights not included) http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/61441-REG/Vivitar_233965_285HV_Auto_Flash.html so you can fire a second flash you'll want to pick up later.

Get a flash like this Quantaray 531660876 PZ-1 DSZ Series TTL Power Zoom - eBay (item 250501475749 end time Feb-16-10 23:24:38 PST) For $30 and you'll have an off camera flash capability.

A better speedlight would be this Vivitar | 285HV Auto Flash | 233965 | B&H Photo Video for $90.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Having done a bit of research I think I might go for the Nikon SB-400.

I think it fills all my needs. It bounces vertically (for any horizontal movement I can use a cheap fix such as a bounce card), uses the iTTL metering system and can be used off camera, should I occasionally need it, with a cord. It's also cheap and really compact, so won't dwarf my D3000's small body.

Is there any reason why I really shouldn't buy one of these?! It doesn't zoom, but I'm not really sure what the advantages of that would be!

Having done a bit of research I think I might go for the Nikon SB-400.

I think it fills all my needs. It bounces vertically (for any horizontal movement I can use a cheap fix such as a bounce card), uses the iTTL metering system and can be used off camera, should I occasionally need it, with a cord. It's also cheap and really compact, so won't dwarf my D3000's small body.

Is there any reason why I really shouldn't buy one of these?! It doesn't zoom, but I'm not really sure what the advantages of that would be!

Cant be used wirelessly off camera either if you are ok with that and think that it will fit your needs it probably will be fine for you. Personally id wait and save up a little extra for the SB-600.

If you want something real cheap you can check these out but they are pretty big and are older units so you wont have all the features you would with an SB-600 but I have two similar ones and I really like them.

Flickr: Discussing Strobist friendly flash on the cheap - Less than $36 in Strobist.com

Most reactions

Back