Flash Question

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by ctribble, Sep 3, 2006.

1. ctribble

ctribble TPF Noob!

I was thinking about buying the digi bee set from Alien Bee. My first question is should I bother with this set? Why or Why not? Second, and this is a dumb question but should I still use my 580ex flash if I am pushing two strobe lights? Do I still need to use the Canon Speedlite 580ex? Or will the main and fill lights be enough light? This is for portrait photography.

Thanks

2. Digital Matt

Digital Matt alter ego: Analog Matt

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I think first you have to ask yourself what are you going to be photographing, and in what space? Are 2 400 Ws lights going to give you what you need? What kind of lighting are you hoping to achieve?

I looked at the DigiBee and felt that I didn't want 400ws lights. I wanted more power in the event that I would be shooting large groups, or shooting outside. I have needed that extra power. I also bought a softbox up front, because I think it's absolutely essential. I bought an extra shoot through umbrella also, so I could have 2 uniform umbrellas.

Depending on your available funds, you might also consider some of those options.

3. Rob

Rob TPF Noob!

You probably wouldn't want to use a 580 on the camera in conjunction with two studio strobes IMO. For a single portrait, you'll be adjusting the lights at a steepish angle to the subject in order to use the lighting to show the contours and detail as appropriate.

A full on, passport style, flash from an onboard unit may ruin the abovementioned effect. Not to mention whether your camera will be keen on handling pc-lead/synch simultaneously with on-board. Also, they may not fire exactly at the same time which may lead to the shutter being shadowed over the image at a lower synch speed.

Any help?

Rob