Flash Question

IanRB

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok so I shoot my moms old minolta xg9 its 29 years old but it works. I found this old flash that she had for it too its a nissin 26T it looks like an upside down L and on the back it has settings depending on your range and iso and tells you what aperature is suggested for those certain settings. The only thing is i was experimenting with it but im just not sure what shutter speed to use. Is there a way you guys know what shutter speed is best when using a flash like this or do you just pretty much learn through experimentation over time? Thanks for your help.

You put it at your camera's max flash sync speed.

Hmmm well as i am very new to this whole photography thing and like i said the camera is 29 years old and there is no longer a manual around to it, im not sure where that is or how i would do that. i see an off on and B.C. and then i just see shutter speeds and thats about it for this camera

Well, set it to 1/30th and just go up from there to see what it's max sync is. It should be mo less than 1/30th and no more than 1/125th. You'll know when it's too fast when the shutter plane covers up part of the frame.

It'll be 1/60th, all of them(35mm) were around this period, I have an old bronnie with focal plane shutter around the same age which is slower at 1/40 but the 35mm ones were 1/60. H

Perhaps the "60" is a different color on the shutter speed dial, indicating that that is the flash sync.

Ohh thanks jwkwd the 60 mark is a different color. Ill have to try the flash out now and see what comes out. thanks

Most reactions

New Topics

Back