Flash questions

<snip>
like Nikon, you can use CLS but you have to make sure that IR sensor is in the line of sight of camera's flash.
<snip>
Another bit of inaccuracy. I have fired my SB's from behind walls, hell, even from behind the camera. All that's required is that the sensor on the SB can "see" the pre-flash. There are ways to bounce light for this to happen if need be, but from a typical indoor household shot, I've never had an issue. Certainly, there are some issues in bright daylight though.

Quote: Originally Posted by IgsEMT
<snip>
like Nikon, you can use CLS but you have to make sure that IR sensor is in the line of sight of camera's flash.
<snip>

Another bit of inaccuracy. I have fired my SB's from behind walls, hell, even from behind the camera. All that's required is that the sensor on the SB can "see" the pre-flash. There are ways to bounce light for this to happen if need be, but from a typical indoor household shot, I've never had an issue. Certainly, there are some issues in bright daylight though.

Everything you said is true IF your master is sb800 or sb900 - THUS you have more ways to direct your light. IF you're using camera's built-in flash as a commander AND you're outside there's a higher chance that slaves won't read the preflash. This is why Nikon CLS although a very nice feature and useful for home studios, isn't reliable as 3rd party radio transmitters/receivers (pocket wizard, quantum, etc). To shoot my kids around the house or just home stuff, I use CLS and it does the job. But I wouldn't trust it shooting a wedding (maybe portraits), but not the reception.
:thumbup:

Everything you said is true IF your master is sb800 or sb900 - THUS ......
Well, I guess you haven't used all the grey matter at your disposal then.

I used an SB800 either side of the camera and ~30-36" behind me to get this shot. The SB's were on light stands with a soft box on one and a shoot through umbrella on the other. I used the built-in flash as the Commander. Bu-Bu-But how's that possible? I used the case of one of my filters to bounce the built-in flash backwards. I have used this principle using aluminum foil as well.

641478691_oVvqb-XL.jpg

:D

K thanks
another question

what exactly is CLS?

and for clarity: Urban meaning town shots, cityscapes (night and day)

Cheers iBats.

what exactly is CLS?

CLS is Nikon's Creative Lighting System. It's better coming from the horses mouth.

It looks as if the D3000 isn't on the list for the CLS out of the box, so a SU-800 would be required. Bear in mind that the SU-800 is NOT a flash, it will only command other SB flashes.

Cheers iBats.

CLS is Nikon's Creative Lighting System. It's better coming from the horses mouth.

It looks as if the D3000 isn't on the list for the CLS out of the box, so a SU-800 would be required. Bear in mind that the SU-800 is NOT a flash, it will only command other SB flashes.

SB flashes?

Everything you said is true IF

No IF's mate - its just the way the system works. Is there a workable distance - of course there is. But there are people who work with those "limitations". As for CLS being less reliable - it all depends on the situation. Probably for a majority of shooters out there, the CLS system is ALL the will need and they will not want for a system that sends/recieves signals other than what they have on camera.

Not trusting it to shoot a wedding is just silly though.

SB flashes?

SB-600, 800, 900. The SU-800 is a dedicated commander for cameras like the D3000 that do not have the built in commander mode. Plus it has more features (and group settings) than on-board commander mode for some of the more advanced cameras - but no need to worry about that now, that is definitely something for another day.

Everything you said is true IF your master is sb800 or sb900 - THUS......
Sorry, not picking on you, but only to illustrate the point.....

Last edited by a moderator:
wow thanks alot i just checked out dombower and he has alot to offer

Most reactions

New Topics

Back