Flash recomendation for tight budget

I'm open to suggestions...and always looking to improve...

You are the photographer, so take control. Most customers could care less about how the lighting is or if the tones are off completely. They mostly care about the moment, "Oh, do my wrinkles show up", "That is a good angle for me", etc etc. If they are adamant in keeping those, make sure to take others that you approve of as well.

Yeah...that is what I used with this session...I decided not to use my flash...took a few 'test shots' with the flash and though I'm sure I could have made it work by adjusting, I was working with someone who didn't really like to wait...plus she only spoke spanish...which meant explaining everything to my assistant and then her relaying the information...it was a long session... (may take a few Spanish classes...) I actually made my own reflectors! And they do work...but question...say you are going for very subtle light in a darker area, very much like that last picture, what is the best way to light?

jwbryson1 said:
With all due respect (Query: How much respect is due?), can somebody please call the fire department because the OP is about to get flamed....:mrgreen:

? What on earth is this??

YN560 II, 36" shoot through umbrella, and 1 Pocket Wizard Plus3. That will bring it close to $300. YN560 II is a manual flash, it doesn't have iTTL or eTTL but I use several of them for off camera lighting. You just need to learn how to use it.

My recommendation: Buy what your camera manufacturer sells. People will recommend off-brand flashes, however there is always an "Except". As in: "This flash does EVERYTHING the Canon/Nikon/Pentax/Sony flashes do except .....". Buy what you manufacturer sells (I think you said Canon) and there is no question of compatibility, there is no question of features not working properly, etc.

Don't buy the off brand flashes until you have at least one, good, dedicated flash by Canon. Then add in all kinds of others for more flexibility. The YN's being a great option for use off camera and to create some amazing looks.

SCraig said:
My recommendation: Buy what your camera manufacturer sells. People will recommend off-brand flashes, however there is always an "Except". As in: "This flash does EVERYTHING the Canon/Nikon/Pentax/Sony flashes do except .....". Buy what you manufacturer sells (I think you said Canon) and there is no question of compatibility, there is no question of features not working properly, etc.

Gotcha!

MLeeK said:
Don't buy the off brand flashes until you have at least one, good, dedicated flash by Canon. Then add in all kinds of others for more flexibility. The YN's being a great option for use off camera and to create some amazing looks.

Thanks!

I looked at your facebook. YOu need to first learn how to use the camera, focus and obtain proper exposure and white balance. If you don't lay the proper foundation before you add in flash you will set yourself back
Here are some tutorials to help you out:
Digital Photography Tips and Tutorials
I'd say you probably should start with the very first one and do a thorough study of each tutorial. Even if you already know it-you can always learn something new when playing with the very basics.

Also Adorama TV with Mark Wallace are great tutorials for any level of photography.

MLeeK said:
I looked at your facebook. YOu need to first learn how to use the camera, focus and obtain proper exposure and white balance. If you don't lay the proper foundation before you add in flash you will set yourself back
Here are some tutorials to help you out:
Digital Photography Tips and Tutorials
I'd say you probably should start with the very first one and do a thorough study of each tutorial. Even if you already know it-you can always learn something new when playing with the very basics.

Hey thanks!! And here I was thinking it was just a flash issue...I will watch the tutorials tomorrow!

jwbryson1 said:
With all due respect (Query: How much respect is due?), can somebody please call the fire department because the OP is about to get flamed....:mrgreen:

? What on earth is this??

There are a lot of people out there who think "Oh, I have an expensive camera, I should be a professional photographer!" and go out there seriously under-equipped and not really knowing what they are doing. One sort of cliche characteristic of this, is using the pop-up flash (You'll notice the professional cameras don't even have a pop up flash).

Everyone has to start somewhere, we all have to learn and gain experience, and it sounds like you are willing to learn, grow, and become more skilled. That puts you about 1000% above some of these fauxtopgraphers who get on here and talk about how they know so much more than the real, successful pros on here (like MLeeK in this thread, and others), and refuse to accept any criticism or advice. Those are the ones that people get sick of hearing from.

That said, be prepared to hear some negative or nasty comments. There are those who don't take kindly to people being paid to do photography work who have not yet mastered the craft and become well equipped. In fact some would say you should NEVER do a wedding without two pro-level camera bodies, top grade lenses, and high end speedlites! Everyone has a different opinion about what the 'minimum' level of skill, equipment, and experience should be required for a person to start charging for their work. Just don't take it personal, learn from these people, and continue to learn and grow in every way you can, you'll do fine.

That's why he made that comment, you should be prepared to be 'flamed' for admitting to using the pop-up flash on a paid portrait session. But like I said, don't take it personal, just keep that excellent attitude of learning and growing and becoming better and better at it!

Granted the OP has not mastered his skills and has supposedly "inadequate" equipment and yet he is being paid to take photos already says something. Just me :)

PS1 Since the OP has a budget of $300 he can get a decent Canon Speedlite Amazon.com: Canon Speedlite 430EX II Flash for Canon Digital SLR Cameras: Camera & Photo or go for a Yong Nuo http://www.amazon.com/Yongnuo-YN-56...8&qid=1354653386&sr=1-1&keywords=youngo+flash for $80 and use the rest to buy lighting related equipment. And since he is willing to learn, he will definitely go far. ;)

PS 2 An inexpensive pop-up flash diffuser can also be a nifty solution for the OP on top of the above.

Amazon.com: Universal SLR Built-in Pop-up Flash Diffuser: Camera & Photo

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
If bought on the net, I would go with a photo site such as B&H so you would have a warranty. I agree to try and buy local, so you can test it out. Hard to get money back once it goes out.

Most reactions

Back