Flash recommendations

ZyxKor

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm looking for a flash for my XTI. Mostly for indoor stuff & I would like to spend less than $150. The on camera flash is just too weak & too harsh for what I have been doing. I'm not familiar with flashes & their tech. Hopefully that is engouh to get a decent one. If not what price range should I be looking? Any buying tips?

Thanks in advance .:thumbup:

I would look for a flash with a quick-release bracket so that you can use it on-camera or hand-hold it away from the camera [coiled extension cord] and aim it as you wish.

The best flash for your camera would be the Canon 580EX...but that's pretty expensive. The next one down is the Canon 430EX...might still be above your budget...but not by much.

By getting a Canon EX flash, you would be able to take advantage off all the fancy E-TTL metering.

Another option would be an automatic flash. Something like the Sunpak 383 Super auto. It would require a slightly different metering method, which might take some practice...but it's a decent flash for less than the 430EX.

I would like to get the Canon ones for the reasons you mentioned, just kinda would rather get a nice lens & I just can't do both right now. Grrrrr... Why can't I have a cheap hobby? :mrgreen:

ZyxKor said:
Why can't I have a cheap hobby? :mrgreen:

well, you'll get there! be lucky you only have one expensive hobby. a handful of guitars and amps and recording studio along with pc's for video production and photography has slightly dragged me down over the years but it's SO FUN! enjoy life and use your talents to make others happy.

Steve

So, I'm looking for buying a good flash within the next month or so, too. But I don't really want to spend ~$370 vs. ~$240 (the prices on B&H). Besides the 141' vs 190' guide number, what are the other benefits of the 580EX vs. 430EX? (I know very little about flashes.)

Most reactions

Back