Flash set up - first time purchasing

sam_justice

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.samueljustice.net
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I want to get into flash photography to really start to understand lighting and to start taking good portrait photos.

I am after a cheap set up for my first one, I'm thinking a speedlight (Nikon), umbrella (with an option to be translucent as well as reflective), light stand, umbrella clip and coldshoe with probably just a sync cable (since it's my first set up). Does anyone have a similar set up that cost them under $300? And what would be the best speedlight that is reasonably priced (around $150 second hand on ebay?) for this?

Nikon makes a nice little speedlight stand with umbrella (not sure if it's shoot-through or only bounce) which retails for around $125 or so. Used SB600s can usually be found for around $250, and if your camera is Commander-capable you won't even need sync cords (I'm assuming it is since they don't put sync ports on the lower end bodies).

Alternatively you could looke for a used Vivitar 283/285, great strobist flashes, but not so good for on-camera work.

I'm currently using a Nikon D50 (old school) but am looking at either the new D7000 (when it gets announced) or even the D90 if it falls a lot in price when the D7000 is announced.

Nikon makes a nice little speedlight stand with umbrella (not sure if it's shoot-through or only bounce) which retails for around $125 or so. Used SB600s can usually be found for around $250, and if your camera is Commander-capable you won't even need sync cords (I'm assuming it is since they don't put sync ports on the lower end bodies).

Alternatively you could looke for a used Vivitar 283/285, great strobist flashes, but not so good for on-camera work.

I'm liking the price of the Vivitar, are they easy to program in manual mode?

Used SB600s can usually be found for around $250

NEW Sb-600's can be found for $220.00, refurbs $190.00, I have seen them on CL for around $150-$175 complete.

p!nK

One other thing, I've been watching various DVDs and such on flash photography. But it's mainly for studio flash, I've heard the SB-600 is a nice unit and I am looking at that currently because apparently it's a good on cam one as well.

The only thing I want to know is, what kind of situations would photographers use an on camera flash for? By the sounds of things never for portraiture but Tom Bricker posted this
061410446.jpg

which I believe is on camera flash is it not?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back