Flash/setting problems

RumDaddy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I got three soft boxes that are slave flashes, I got a remote flash I slide on my camera flash shoe and I plug the other recieving end of the remote (the trigger) one in the the back of one of the flashes. When I take a photo on AUTO they all go off like usual, but when I put the camera on manual or AV and adjust my settings the way they have been all summer long in my garage. THE FLASH WONT FLASH!

It wont flash with my remote or my 580 EX. What little mistake did I make or what did I do wrong?

Which flash won't fire? The one on the camera or the remotes or all?

The camera will trigger the flash on the remote and on the 580ex on auto, but will not on manual or av. I need it on manual and av so I can change the settings accordingly. Im getting worried its something completely obvious.

I'm confused and not sure what you're dealing with here. I'm not quite sure how many flash units are involved or how you're triggering them (it sounds like you're using a wireless trigger of some sort but I'm not really sure).

Could you list all the components involved? List them by brand and model if possible. I'm guessing you're using a Canon DSLR but don't know which model.

The shoe on the camera wont trigger any flash (remote or my 580ex) unless its on AUTO, I need it to trigger the flash on AV and MANUAL so I can ajust the camera settings.

Like I said I believe I may be mmaking some sort of simple mistake. When you turn your camera on Manula you do so so you can personally ajust all the settings yourself is their a manula setting for the flash to, or just the ISO Aperture and shutter speed,?

Listen to Sam He knows what hes doing now list the stuff!

What the...That's weird. Very weird. What camera body are you using? Might you not be locking-down the flash or remote on the hot shoe? I can't for the life of me think of a way to recreate this problem on my camera.

Edit: Does your camera have a pop-up flash? It might be...no that doesn't make sense. Well maybe try popping it up and back down again, on a hunch that something's mucked-up with the switch that prevents the pop-up from functioning when you put something on the hot shoe.

hmm that is weird. MusicaleCA might be on to something. Maybe it think's your on auto mode firing the on camera flash also triggering your master. I know my hot shoe went bad before and kept switching from TTL to ETTL without intervention. Maybe try to dissasemble everything and put it back together..

Edit: Disassembling your flash set-up that is...not the camera. LOL don't what to give you the wrong idea

Last edited:
A million thank yous to anyone and everyone offering input and advice. Im using a Canon 50D with a 580EXII speedlite/flash. Right now it flashes on all the dummy settings but not the manual ones. I am very new to this I may be over looking something completely obvious. Please dont let my signatuer fool you.:lmao: For instance don t think for a second that He would have thought of that! Cuz I may not have.:confused:

1.Is there a setting while in manual mode that makes the flash go on and off? I know when your in manual mode, your suposed to set all of the settings yourself. But I thought it was just ISO, SP, Aperature. I dont think the flash is one of them.

2.Is it possible that while in manual mode if I set the settings to low or to high it may cuz the flash to not trigger.

Heres some of the settings from my notes. They may be unusual but I was trying something unusual.

Shutter 160 Aperture 5.6 or lower (184) <-mystery setting then ISO 100
Image wasnt perfect but pretty damn close.

If anyone can solve this problem of mine I will for ever be grateful and in your debt. I have plans to shoot some freebees for some friends and Im really looking forward to getting started. This set back has come at the worst time and is driving me crazy!!!

Gah, this is weird. It should be that just turning on the flash or remote will make it trigger. That's all I have to do on my 450D and 580EXII. Same for the ST-E2. And the Cactus V4 transmitter just works and doesn't have a power button.

1. I don't think so. Double-check the user manual, but in M on my 450D there's no such thing. It's just a simple, put the flash in the shoe and turn it on to make it fire when I hit the shutter release.

2. Again, this shouldn't be the case. If you don't enable high-speed sync, the camera should stop you from going past your max sync speed. It's possible with radio triggers like the Cactus V4 to go past the sync speed because the camera won't receive information saying that HSS is off, but you aren't using them so it's a moot point.

Kick it? I really can't fathom what's up with this. Perhaps something's wonky with the firmware of the camera. You might try updating it? (Or flashing it with the same version that you have now.)

1.Is there a setting while in manual mode that makes the flash go on and off? I know when your in manual mode, your suposed to set all of the settings yourself. But I thought it was just ISO, SP, Aperature. I dont think the flash is one of them.
Nothing like that in my XTi, 40D or 5D...they all fire my flashes (430EX and 580EX II) when in Manual Mode just fine.
2.Is it possible that while in manual mode if I set the settings to low or to high it may cuz the flash to not trigger.
I don't believe so.

Your 50D might be defective.

Not to worry got it fixed, reset it to factory settings. Somewhere, somehow the flash settings were recumbobulated.

Thanks again for all the suggestions. Im just glad Im back in the game. Cant wait to shoot.

I'm guessing you're using a Canon DSLR but don't know which model.

-

Most reactions

New Topics

Back