Flash shadows

Discussion in 'Critique Forum Archives' started by colintinto, Aug 10, 2005.

1. colintinto

colintinto TPF Noob!

Hi All,

I took the attached picture with my 300D, using the built in flash. The wall behind was at least 6 or 7ft away, but I've still got a big nasty shadow. I guess the simple answer is to take the picture without the flash, in fact I did that and it came out OK, but in some situations that's not possible, especially when trying to take candid shots where the subject might move, making a longer exposure impossible.

Would a proper flash unit be able to control the brightness a bit better than the built in one? Any other suggestions?

I guess I could also photoshop out the shadow...

[​IMG]

Colin

2. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    You could try using a faster shutter speed...up to the fastest sync speed...which would reduce the exposure of the background.

You could try using a wider aperture to shorten the DOF and render the background out of focus.

You could use a shoe mounted accessory flash that is higher above the lens than the pop-up....may not be better in a vertical orientation though. You could use an off-camera flash.

A flash bracket is often used to mount a flash high above the camera so as to better light the subject and throw the shadows downward and hopefully out of the picture.

3. Tally Ho

Tally Ho TPF Noob!

A faster shutter speed will only make it worse, as it will prevent any ambient light from 'piling onto' the background and lightening it up. A wider aperture won't help either, especially at this distance. A flash bracket would help however.

Tally Ho

4. craig

craig TPF Noob!

If the subject was further away from the background he would create less of a shadow. Try using your flash on fill, slow or rear. This will mix the ambient light with the flash.