Flash Suggestions

Discussion in 'Lighting and Hardware' started by lauraxlovegood, Oct 15, 2012.

1. lauraxlovegood

lauraxlovegood New Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    I figured now would be a good time to buy a flash. I have the Canon 5D classic and a 50mm 1.8 II lens. I plan on buying another lens soon, but I was thinking about getting a flash as well. What would you lovely people suggest for a newbie to flashes? All is appreciated :D
  2. Mike_E

Mike_E Well-Known Member

The Upper West Side of Mississippi (you have no i
    Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +257 / 0
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    I don't know what level you are with your photography or what level you desire to be.

If you just want it to work then I'd say to go ahead and get the canon 560. It may be more expensive but you can't add to a flash once you've bought it but you can dial it down.

If you want to really dig in and learn what you're doing (not that hard really) then take a look at one of these
    Review: Yongnuo 560 EX II Flash (For Canon, Nikon, Micro Four Thirds and Any System)

Amazon.com: Yongnuo YN-560 II Speedlight Flash for Canon and Nikon. GN58.: Camera & Photo

At $70 per I'd literally get three (actually I'd get five, but that's just me).
  3. jwbryson1

jwbryson1 New Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +948 / 0
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Budget?
  4. johncam

johncam New Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0
    My Photos Are NOT OK to Edit
    What's your target price range?
    For low-cost alternatives, I'd look into Nissin and Yongnuo, but typically, if they claim eTTL capability, that won't include the remote master/slave system, or high-speed sync function. Any "optical slave" function is typically a dumb optical slave--which you could not use with a 5D without another speedlight, since the 5D has no pop-up flash.
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2012
  5. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +1,749 / 0
  6. lonewolfsx

lonewolfsx New Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    I'll second the Yungnuo YN-560 II's. I got a few recently, and will for sure be buying another pair. I originally had planned to get an Alien Bee, and still will but the 560's are fine for most stuff, at least indoors where you're using flash the most.

They are manual only flashes though, which is not that big of a deal. It simply adds one last variable to your exposure. Instead of balancing ISO/Shutter/Aperture, you just add flash power on to that and figure. Not only will this improve your skills for the future, but it'll save you a TON of money compared to the $500 or $600 Canon flashes whose only major feature over the YN-560's is the TTL modes. This means the Camera will use lens and subject information to calculate the flash power... which is nice but not really a huge deal.