Flash sync problem ?

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by poshphoto, Sep 19, 2005.

1. poshphoto

poshphoto TPF Noob!

I'm having a problem with my Nikon FM and I can't tell if it's a shutter malfunction or a flash sync problem.

I recently started seeing a dark area on one side of the frame, not quite a black band and usually at the top of the frame.

Shutter is at 1/125 which is the rated flash sync with this camera, motor drive also on.

I'm using studio strobes, Excalibur 6400's.

I'm thinking just go to 1/60 second on the shutter and this may clear the problem. I know the strobes have a flash duration of only 1/200 at full power, probably less at reduced power, could this slow duration cause a sync problem with the 1/125 shutter speed?

2. Hertz van Rental

Hertz van Rental TPF Noob!

It shouldn't do, but I would suggest trying some tests at 1/60th. If the problem persists then you might have a camera problem. If it clears up then the 1/125th sync claim is just wishful thinking :lol:
    Actually, it is quite easy for the sync to slip slightly, which could cause the problem.
    To be honest, when using my cameras with flash I always set them at 1/30th. It won't make a difference if flash is the light source but it will ensure you don't get synch problems.

You did check to make sure that there was nothing casting a shadow, I hope. I know it sounds silly but it has been known to happen and get overlooked.

3. poshphoto

poshphoto TPF Noob!

Thanks for the info.

It also seems to work just fine with my Vivitar 285 hv at 1/125.

I did have a lens hood on my Nikon 105mm but it is the Nikon recommended lens hood.

4. ksmattfish

ksmattfish Now 100% DC - not as cool as I once was, but still

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Very often there is a difference between flash sync for a hot shoe flash, and the sync for studio strobes. I don't know why, but I've seen that info numerous locations. Check out the website of your studio light manufacturer.

5. paul rond

paul rond TPF Noob!

In focal plane shutter if one curtain is running slow, it will show up more in flash shots as either the bottom or the top of the frame blacking out.

I looked up the specs of the FM and saw something interesting about the sync in regard to a "safety switch" in the hot shoe. Can this be the cause of your problem? Are you mounting the 283 on the shoe and the strobes in the PC?

Quoted from the FM spec sheet... "Built-in ISO-type hot shoe contact with safety switch for synchronization with electronic flash units at speeds up to 1/125 sec.; sync terminal provided "

6. poshphoto

poshphoto TPF Noob!

I've got the 283 on a bracket with a Vivitar off camera cord which attaches to the hot shoe.

The studio strobes are used with a cord in the pc scoket or with a wireless transmitter mounted on the hot shoe.