flash sync speed

Well according to PW, you can get up to 1/500th with almost any camera and any flash (studio strobes are included in that list and the 5D mkII is the current exception), irrespective of if your native sync speed is 1/160th, 1/200th or 1/250th. It has to be in TTL mode only, though.

Boooo TTL!!

I read that too, but the guy said the camera had to be in TTL to work? Hey if I am wrong the Canon user who said it was wrong (on the strobist flickr group is where I read this). I have no way to test it out until they release the Nikon versions.

I also heard that the new PWs cannot use the lights in manual mode, they have to be in TTL and some kind of "ratio" mode". I know that the Nikon CLS can trigger remote Nikon flashes in a manual mode, so thats another thing that they hopefully straighten out before the release.

I read that too, but the guy said the camera had to be in TTL to work? Hey if I am wrong the Canon user who said it was wrong (on the strobist flickr group is where I read this). I have no way to test it out until they release the Nikon versions.

I also heard that the new PWs cannot use the lights in manual mode, they have to be in TTL and some kind of "ratio" mode". I know that the Nikon CLS can trigger remote Nikon flashes in a manual mode, so thats another thing that they hopefully straighten out before the release.

I don't see why not. They have a 3.5mm miniphone port like the PII's and multimax.

I don't see why not. They have a 3.5mm miniphone port like the PII's and multimax.

It is nothing to do with physical ability to connect... but something about the PW's simply not being able to do it. Let me look tonight and see if I can find that thread for you.

Since you mentioned POTN, I am sure you read by now that the Canon versions of the PWs are being put on hold due to a defect? Something about the 430EX and PW issues. Link HERE. Oh... unless there is another VI, you already knew... lol.

Last edited:
Don't be afraid to read your camera manual. If you have lost it, you can download for free, the manual from the Nikon website.

The answer is... yes it has it.

Definitely doesnt.

Seems like an old D70s has more on the ball (except for MP size) than the D90!

A D40 also has a high speed sync, is it better than the D90 too??
(except for useless mp size, of course..)

The D90 and down also don't have sync ports, leading the average thinker to believe that Nikon wants their strobe users to be using their bigger cams? My best guess.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back