flash vs lens

swmocity

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
im looking to upgrade, but i dont know if i should go with a new lens or flash.I have two lenses now so i was thinking maybe i should go with the flash..which one is more important. I have a rebel xt

here are the two that i have
75-300
SS850001-2.jpg

SS850002-1.jpg

18-55
SS850003.jpg

SS850004.jpg

If you can afford it, go for some better glass , not necessarily for extreme focal lengths.

Did you miss the flash in your kind of photography so far? If you did not miss it, no need to get it maybe. It all depends on your style of shooting.

If you can afford it, go for some better glass , not necessarily for extreme focal lengths.

Did you miss the flash in your kind of photography so far? If you did not miss it, no need to get it maybe. It all depends on your style of shooting.

im just doing random stuff..ive done a few shoots for music artist and birthday parties dont really have a style just trying to getter better all around.... Any my sisters wants me to take pictures at her wedding. So that's why im trying to upgrade...but i notice that i tend to use the flash alot

im just doing random stuff..ive done a few shoots for music artist and birthday parties dont really have a style just trying to getter better all around.... Any my sisters wants me to take pictures at her wedding. So that's why im trying to upgrade...but i notice that i tend to use the flash alot

then getting a flash is a good idea since the built-in flash ruins many pictures. getting the flash further away from your optical axis does help alot.

I'd get a flash for general use (430 or 580), and the nifty fifty, 50mm f/1.8 for 100 bucks.

then getting a flash is a good idea since the built-in flash ruins many pictures. getting the flash further away from your optical axis does help alot.
ok thanks for the advice...

If the flash would be used off camera, then the easy decision is the flash, but if it's no the hotshoe, then i'd probably get faster lenses and just use available light.

I'd get a flash for general use (430 or 580), and the nifty fifty, 50mm f/1.8 for 100 bucks.

I'd second this suggestion. You'll see a tremendous difference in your photos - and the photos that you can take - if you've got a decent flash. And the 50/1.8 is a great lens for a great price which will also open a lot of doors for you.

I suggest covering the basics: a body, a flash, and a lens, before anything else. Then, start focusing on better glass. You've got 2/3s of a kit - buy the flash, then go for lenses.

I'd second this suggestion. You'll see a tremendous difference in your photos - and the photos that you can take - if you've got a decent flash. And the 50/1.8 is a great lens for a great price which will also open a lot of doors for you.

I suggest covering the basics: a body, a flash, and a lens, before anything else. Then, start focusing on better glass. You've got 2/3s of a kit - buy the flash, then go for lenses.
same thing i was thinking...two lenses but no flash...

Learning about lighting > buying new glass.

Want to see some shots I've taken with some "sub par" glass and my flashes?

18-55 Kit and two strobes:

you can get a decent hotshoe flash for under 100 bucks. I have one and it allows my cheaper glass to produce way better results. allows slow glass to be usable in low lit situations.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back