flash vs lens

I vote for flash and a off-shoe cord.

Good glass versus flash debate isn't worth discussing. Two different tools for different jobs. As VI pointed out, lower end glass can perform given you stay within their limitations... expensive glass just has less limitations.

you can get a decent hotshoe flash for under 100 bucks. I have one and it allows my cheaper glass to produce way better results. allows slow glass to be usable in low lit situations.
do you have any links where i can buy it?..or did you get it from the store

I'd second this suggestion. You'll see a tremendous difference in your photos - and the photos that you can take - if you've got a decent flash. And the 50/1.8 is a great lens for a great price which will also open a lot of doors for you.

I suggest covering the basics: a body, a flash, and a lens, before anything else. Then, start focusing on better glass. You've got 2/3s of a kit - buy the flash, then go for lenses.

this one?
http://www.nextag.com/Canon-EF-50mm-f-3685528/prices-html

also, is it a good idea to take tripod to a wedding..or should i use a monopod

Yes, that is the correct link to the lens that has been suggested. I too just bought this lens. It just arrived 2 days ago. Awesome lens for the price. It feels like a toy because it is built so cheap, but it sure does work well!

And i just got a 580 EX II today and a 3ft cord and stroboframe bracket. Worlds apart from the built in flash!

I personally would take a tripod to a wedding, especially since it is your sister's wedding and there will likely be some shots that you will want to include yourself in the photo as well. So set up a tripod, set the focus and set the timer off and haul butt over to the rest of the folks and be in the picture!

Derrick

Yes, that is the correct link to the lens that has been suggested. I too just bought this lens. It just arrived 2 days ago. Awesome lens for the price. It feels like a toy because it is built so cheap, but it sure does work well!

And i just got a 580 EX II today and a 3ft cord and stroboframe bracket. Worlds apart from the built in flash!

I personally would take a tripod to a wedding, especially since it is your sister's wedding and there will likely be some shots that you will want to include yourself in the photo as well. So set up a tripod, set the focus and set the timer off and haul butt over to the rest of the folks and be in the picture!

Derrick

Unless there's provisions in place against that. If she has a pro photographer, you're probably going to be in the way on more than one occasion with a tripod.

If you're shooting indoors a lot, I would go with the flash. I think going from the built in flash to an external flash will improve your photos more than upgrading the lens, and also the best flashes are much cheaper than the best lenses! :)

If you're shooting indoors a lot, I would go with the flash. I think going from the built in flash to an external flash will improve your photos more than upgrading the lens, and also the best flashes are much cheaper than the best lenses! :)

Eh...$80 50mm f/1.8?

Anyways...OP - You could even go with an old manual flash for about $80 or less. It would bounce fine and once you get the settings right, there's not much adjustment when it comes to bouncing. But the downside is that you won't have TTL. I'm thinking your best bet for a cheap TTL flash would be a 430EX.

Unless there's provisions in place against that. If she has a pro photographer, you're probably going to be in the way on more than one occasion with a tripod.
no im the "photographer" in the family, she asked so i said yes...even if they didnt ask i was going to do it anyway lol...its better than buying 50 million one time use cameras and handing them out to people who dont know how to take pictures...im a long ways from a pro...im exicted about doing it though...

do you have any links to some good flahes

Derrick
i just hate buying things online..takes to long to get here...i cant seem to find that lens in any stores so i guess i dont have a choice

do you have any links to some good flahes

I'm not a Canon guy, so I can't recommend anything specific. I'd probably look into getting a decent Canon flash that is automatic (TTL) and can be angled up and down and swiveled, so you can bounce it off walls and ceilings.

no im the "photographer" in the family, she asked so i said yes...even if they didnt ask i was going to do it anyway lol...its better than buying 50 million one time use cameras and handing them out to people who dont know how to take pictures...im a long ways from a pro...im exicted about doing it though...

Because there was a sister that sent a cease and desist to a brother who shot at a wedding where she paid a pro to shoot at.

i just hate buying things online..takes to long to get here...i cant seem to find that lens in any stores so i guess i dont have a choice

2 day shipping is usually pretty cheap and you're still getting the things cheaper than you would at a camera shop. I think the most shipping has(ok, will, buying tomorrow) cost me is on a backdrop stand. 2day is 90, so I'm going standard ground. But it's like 20lbs or so in shipping weight. Most shipping on lighter things like flashes and lenses is reasonable and if your package doesn't make it there in time, you can call for a refund.

Most reactions

Back